I'm a newb!

Guest blackorchid666

I'd say first of all you need to buy some books that explain the programming language that you want to master (e.g. C++). The bigger book stores usually have tons of useful programming-guides available.

P.S.: Welcome aboard. :)

First you need to figure out what you want to do. Is there a particular language you want to learn? Is there a particular task you want to be able to do or a particular kind of program you want to write?

There are boatloads and boatloads of languages out there, very different from each other, so before you start buying books you should figure out which language you want to start with.

For example:

Creating static web pages (not really programming) - HTML, CSS

Creating dynamic web pages (client side) - Javascript, Flash, Java

Creating dynamic web pages (server side) - PHP, Perl, Ruby, Sql

Command line tools - bash scripting, Perl, Sed

Guis, Games - Java, C++, Perl

Just learning programming - Basic, Pascal, C

Scheme is a language i had some fun learning, very different from the common ones like C or Java.

If you want to learn the programming basics - try Pascal or a more modern C. Java can be a little confusing for a beginner.

You can try googling for some online C trainers (i know there are plenty of them out there...)

Personally, i prefer to learn with a good book, i don't like learning from a screen.

Enjoy.

If learning on Linux, I might suggest playing around with bash scripting first...an interpreted language. Then maybe move on to dabble in C, a lower-level compiled language (lower-level does not equal easier, just that you can more closely interact with the operating system), then maybe php (not just for web anymore ;)), etc.