how to install a second video card?

dhague30

My guess would be that this is something that you need to set up in the bios of the motherboard. There should be an option to turn the onboard video off and the agp slot on.

For a more specific answer, list what motherboard you are using.

Two things to do.

1) look in the bios. If it only lists agp on board or pci, then you should be able to turn off the agp and then install your pci card.(Hope you got a pci card!)

2) Look on the board itself for a jumper that will turn off the on board video.

It's got to be one or the other.

Guest fubar::chi

Look in bios for an option making switching off your onboard video card. Maybe then an option for non onboard vga will show up. Don't save these settings unless you get the agp slot as primary vid card though.

What you just gave was processor info not motherboard info. Who made pc DELL, HP etc? What model is it? If custom built or came with a manual look in their for mother board brand.

Try opening your case, and see what the mobo is labeled as. Then, go to that company's website, and download the manual (likely in PDF). It should tell you how to install an AGP card. This is assuming that you have an AGP slot and card.

If you have another monitor lying around, you could also look into going with a dual-monitor setup. Both monitors work in X, and one (the one connected to the GeForce) will work for 3D. Complex to set up, but very cool and possibly cheap way to increase your desktop real estate.

--Andrew

I don't think any of this is necessary (is in windows though :P). I have onborad agp that has crappy support in linux. So I bought a GeForce2 MX200 (1.5 years ago). Both at install and in a terminal as root with;

XFdrake --expert --noauto

I have always been given a choice between

1. Configuring NVIDIA card only

2. Configuring Intel card only

3. Configuring both NVIDA and Intel

4. Xinerama.

I've alway chosen;

Configure NVIDIA card only

and have never had any probs.

First check if ur motherboard has an external AGP slot. If not, return the geforce4 mx card. If yes, then put it into the AGP slot. The BIOS should automatically disable the on-board AGP card and and activate the external AGP card. Thats my experience. The BIOS option for selection between AGP and PCI only chooses between PCI and AGP, not between internal and external AGP.

Unless I've missed something, which is very possible, I thought only the 2.5 and 2.6 kernels could see agp as agp instead of seeing agp as pci? If so, again, would any of this really matter? The kernel's comunication with bios/acpi should take care of the rest. No?

The kernel treats the AGP bus just as PCI. Support of the AGP 1x/2x/4x/8x modes is provided by the agpgart module in 2.4.x kernels. This should not affect display setting as AGP can be entirely disabled for a video card and the video card should still work.

Guest c_m_f

when i did the same (it had a crappy onboard card and agp slot) i just fitted the new card, plugged in the monitor and turned on, no errors/questions, nothing!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm embarassed to ask this... but if you installed the new card, did you remember to plug the monitor into the new video card instead of the onboard video? that's the most common mistake i've seen people make when upgrading onboard video... and i've done it too. :oops: (luckily it's easy to fix)