First post, and already a problem ;/ [solved]

Michael Allison

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/205020...925a792_o_d.png

Am I missing a repository, or something? I get an error when trying to download my updates now...

Also, are there any other repositories or software you would suggest getting?

I'm sorry my first post was a request, LOL, but that's the main reason I came here. I will, however, try to remain active and help other people in return :). And why does it say everything I write is not a valid word, other than is, does, and a? :lol2:

Google is a valid repository for Mandriva, unless Mandriva has decided no longer to support custom repositories (contrary to the GUI) since Spring Edition of 2007... I assure you the repositories themselves are still up and running, and I'm fairly sure they should please rpmdrake. Either way, having a useless repository should in no way contribute to my problem.

Ahh, thank you :D I didn't know whether that was my fault, or the OS's fault, but I thought that was a bit weird as well.

Edited by Michael Allison

Google is a valid repository for Mandriva...

Ahh, thank you :D I didn't know whether that was my fault, or the OS's fault, but I thought that was a bit weird as well.

Sorry, but this is really weird. Why are you seeking for help when you don't trust more experienced users? Scarecrow's advice is top level.

Edited by scoonma

I have been using Mandriva since it was Mandrake version 7.0. I have never used Google as a repository, nor have I found it necessary. Satisfying urpmi does not mean that one won't get unworkable software. As proof, simply use cooker sources and you will get a working and then broken system from time to time. urpmi will use it, but it is the software that is under development that is not working. All urpmi does is assure that the packages that claim to be dependent get installed. It does not mean it will work!

Use whatever you wish, but reputable sources are what they are. We can help you trouble-shoot odd sources, but please do not claim that Mandriva has a problem when you are experimenting. B)

I simply claimed that it was a working repository, when a so called "experienced user" whos advice is "top level" said it wasn't. Google's repositories hold Google Desktop, Picasa, and other Google-supported software. I meant no offense by informing you of your mistake, but no one seemed to answer my question- why isn't it updating? I guess I'll throw this out there: I took off Google and put it back on, but some official updates still didn't come through while it was off.

lx- I'm not experimenting. I never said I was an inexperienced Linux user, LOL. This is one of my first times using Mandriva specifically, but I'm fairly sure I know how to correctly add an outside repository when given a tutorial by a reputable source. And when you said not to pass the buck on Mandriva, I think you misread me. I meant I didn't know whether the double repositories under all the update repositories (an error pointed out by Scarecrow) was an error at my fault, or a confusing part of rpmdrake. It just so happened it was my fault, although I suppose I didn't make that clear enough.

My question was simply about why my updates weren't coming in, I did not ask your opinion on whether my choice of outside repositories was good. If you were an "experienced user", scoonma, you would know that it's not very likely that my official updates would be hindered by a completely unrelated repository ;). In addition, I thank all the three of you for trying to answer my question! Alright: let's be civil now, shall we?

I get an error when trying to download my updates now...

Welcome to the board Michael!

Damn, it's a tough crowd here today. :D

Let us start with you going to this thread: Software installation

Then set up easyurpmi as per the instructions in that thread. Make sure you include the PLF-free and PLF-nonfree repos. Also, please do (as root) in a terminal

urpmi.removemedia -a

first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup. Please do not add the Google repos at this time, because they are 2007.1 repos. You can install that stuff later if you like... some of it is in the official Mandriva repos.

Now if you have any problems, please post the exact error you receive.

It is advisable only to use the repos for the distro you are using. Therefore, if Mandriva 2008, don't add googles repo if it's for 2007.1 like Greg2 says. This will mean that the dependencies for Google's software won't be met by Mandriva 2008 because the dependencies will be newer than the packages Google is expecting to install as dependencies.

And why does it say everything I write is not a valid word, other than is, does, and a? :lol2:
That's an easy one, if you're using Firefox it's probably got confused about the default language. If you change the spell-check language back to English it should stop underlining everything.

You're right that having an extra, useless repository shouldn't affect things, but if you have a conflicting or duplicate repository then it might. I can't imagine that Google's software will care about the difference between 2007.1 and 2008.0, I imagine it's fairly self-contained. Picasa comes packaged with its own version of wine so I guess it doesn't have dependencies on core Mandriva stuff.

About why the updates aren't coming in, I'm not sure, unless there are errors coming up when it tries to refresh the lists of media?

So... you trust Google as a Mandriva repo... that's fine for me.

THEN: if your repos are misbehaving, Google it!

What are you seeking here? :rolleyes:

PS: Like it or not, even PLF isn't an official Mandriva repo, and enabling it means that you do it at your own risk. Most people here are enabling PLF, because the contents are tested and found working (albeit not being 100% trouble-free), but Google? As mentioned above, they STILL have no idea that Mandy 2008.0 has been released.

Edited by scarecrow

I can't view your screen shot from here (thank you websense for blocking flickr...stupid work) but based on what I've read I'll make a few quick suggestions as to what the problem with updates may be:

It could be that you're pointing to the wrong hdlist file, or to the wrong repository in general. This is an obvious error, and one you most likely would have caught on your own I'm sure - but it's worth a double check. If this were the case, you would most likely be seeing some sort of an error, depending on the issue.

It could also be that the server you are pointing to is behind, or is having some issues of it's own. Try a different one and see if your problems continue. I suggest using the easy-urpmi link at the top of the page to get some nice, clean commands for adding repositories (copy+paste, no chance of fat-fingering it ;)). In this case, you would see no error at all - urpmi would hum along not having a clue that something was amiss.

As far as one repo effecting another, this could only happen if there was an issue with how the repo was formatted (in the repo file on your system) that conflicted with what urpmi expects. This would likely give an error, so I also doubt that is your problem.

Also, please don't take offense if others give advice you've already tried or are already aware of - we have no way of knowing your level of knowledge, especially not from one post, so sometimes we may seem to be "talking down" when we're actually just trying to be as simple and helpful as possible :) (if you spend more time here, we'll learn you're level of expertise, and be able to give advice more tailored to that level).

So... you trust Google as a Mandriva repo... that's fine for me.

THEN: if your repos are misbehaving, Google it!

I think you're being unnecessarily harsh here, Scarecrow. You do know that this Google repo only contains Picasa and Desktop, right? So what does it matter? I can't see it being much different from me downloading a Skype rpm from skype.com and then asking in mub about my repository updates - the updates are to do with my (official) Mandriva repositories and whether I happen to get extra, unrelated rpms from a website or from an additional mini-repo, shouldn't stop me from daring to ask questions here...

I'm also a victim of flickr-blocking but I'll suggest this: do "urpmi.update -a" from a command line and post any errors here.

By the way, the "updates" checkbox shouldn't be checked for repositories which aren't update repositories. So "Main" shouldn't have it checked, nor "Contrib", "Testing", "Backports". And you shouldn't have multiple "Main updates" repositories defined, just one. In fact personally I wouldn't add "Testing" but you can if you want.

Run easy-urpmi again and get it sorted out cleanly, add your Google one if you want, and you should be set.

Thanks everyone, especially Greg, for explaining what I failed to understand from Scoonma's message.

Ahh, thanks Neddie ROFL. I would have thought of that eventually, after seeing Spanish words in the suggestions, LOL! That's weird- wonder why it would install Spanish Firefox on a fresh installion of Mandriva.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the Google repository, but the problem was caused by the duplicates; thanks for pointing them out! :D Until Google's repository causes a problem, I see no reason not to keep it in there. The version of Mandriva shouldn't effect it. In the end, all the repository holds is a bunch of RPM files. When you download and extract the RPM, it's the same as running the source code for that program.

Thanks! Problem solved.