Lost my 3D desktop [solved]

tapksa

Hi everyone,

I've got a few problems here.

Okay this is where I am and how I ended up here: I had some problems with the EPSXE PlayStation emulator. I thought they could be due to bad video drivers. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. This wasn't the first time the card didn't work correctly. Anyway, I went to nvidia.com to download new drivers (OS: Mandriva One 2007 Spring). I started installing them. Well it looked like I'd have to exit the X Server, and I did.

I started installing the drivers. Well, there seemed to be several different problems, and the installation failed. I thought that well, no EPSXE for me then and returned to the X Server.

I guess I didn't start the kind of session I wanted since I only had one "desktop" (I don't use multiple dekstops but I had used the cube desktop, and now lost it). There were other problems as well, for instance not being able write in any text fields. Then, with a little help I managed to enter the right session. Well, you can guess from the title, I had lost my 3D desktop. I mean, I now do have the 4 "sides" of the "cube" (no actual cube so no actual sides) but no 3d effects. Well, it's not too important, but I'd like to have it back.

The problems seems to be that "my system doesn't support 3d desktop" or something. I find it weird because a few hours ago it seemed to support the 3d desktop quite well.

I'd appreciate some help. If you don't understand something or there's something I forgot to mention, please ask. Oh yeah and I'm somewhat a noob, forgive me. :)

-Tapksa

P.S

If this is in the wrong section, I apogolize, I thought this would be the right one.

Edited by tapksa

Sounds like the driver's installation process also destroyed the previously used driver...

You can check if you have 3d acceleration at all by typing

glxinfo | grep rendering

in the konsole... (or terminal if using Gnome)

Were you installing the drivers via rpm or from a .run -file (don't know how nVidia packs them, ATI:s driver-installers are in .run format)?

If the latter, then it's possible you didn't have the needed dependencies (kernel source / headers, etc.).

I don't really know how this goes with nVidia... it doesn't say it needs any packages on the nVidia website, but I'd think it needs the kernel source or headers.

Check if you have installed them...

Here's some howto on how to install the drivers...

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Instal...rake.2FMandriva

There also seems to be a part that tells how to remove a failed install.

Hi Tapska, great picture by the way! I have had similar problems, and no real idea how to fix them. I've tried to update my kernel several times, and each time I've managed to hose up my 3d desktop as well...only mine gets worse. I have no window borders, and can't move them anymore.... the only way I've found to change this has been to reinstal, or lately restore to a previous time (using Mondo Restore). That's a bit extreme...

My computer is working fine now, but ran the command listed above, "glxinfo | grep rendering", and got this message:

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b

direct rendering: Yes

Anyone know what this means? Good luck, I hope you find a way to fix your desktop...

Direct rendering is enabled, so it means it's OK. The libgl warning you can ignore - it's only a warning and not serious. I've had it on many distros, but not had problems with 3D.

Unfortunately, never tried 3D desktop on Mandriva, so can't help you on that front. But a start would be how the driver was installed and the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The file was .run, I'm pretty sure about it.

glxinfo | grep rendering -> direct rendering: Yes

So, what to do?

Then maybe this might help:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=35606

it's a howto with Mandriva XGL and nvidia cards, so it might mean making a few config changes to get it to work. I've not tried it so I don't know.

There's always a search in google:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

loads of guides might be worth checking out.

err...

How should I put this...

I just randomly installed some nvidia stuff from the package control. And well, I was going to take a screenshot of the "system doesn't support 3d desktop" thingy, and well. I could now switch the cube workspace back on.

And it's working perfectly.

But thank you all anyway!

What packages did you install? Would be good to know, as then anyone who encounters the same problem as you can find it searching this forum :)

All that I could find and install. :P

I have no window borders, and can't move them anymore....
Seems like you your window decorator is not starting.

Beryl has 3 window decorators. One for Gnome themes (Heliodor), one for KDE themes (Aquamarine) and one for its own themes (Emerald). As I noticed the default in Mandriva is Aquamarine under KDE. And I assume Heliodor under Gnome. So you can change themes in the KDE control center or in the Gnome control center as usual. But if you want to use the themes for Beryl you have to use Emerald. For this you have to edit your /etc/sysconfig/compositing-wm and add the line

COMPOSITING_WINDOW_DECORATOR=emerald

then logout, restart the x server then log back in.

There should be a GUI way to change window decorators but I don't know where it is.