good substitute for WinRAR on linux? [solved]

mindwave

In moving over to an almost full time linux box, I am finding that one stumbling block seems to be WINRAR.

its an app I've used for years and therefore MANY of my docs, videos and other archived information gets RARED to save space.

However in searching the web the only thing I found was a few (very few) CLI based RAR applications, but even when I TRY and install those, the install fails.

anyone have an idea or recommendation?

BTW in case you hadnt heard of it WINRAR is a compression util similar to ZIP, just uses a different compression scheme (its REALLY great for breaking DVD ISO's down into manageable pieces), and the files end either in RAR or .R01, .R02, .R03 etc

Thanks

j

There's also an older try for a rar frontend named rargui.

http://www.vsite.gr/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=4

It's not terribly good, but not bad either. The main reason its not developed anymore is that using rar from cli is quite easy, and also that generic GUI utils like ark can handle rar archives both ways (provided that they ARE compiled with rar support!).

see I did try and search the forums, bothe here and at MDV.com, and came up with nothing. so then i went to sourceforge, because i knew that the CLI versions STARTED on CP/M / Unix decades ago, but I couldnt get RAR/UNRAR to work for me.

PEA works great though

thanks for the recomendations

I especially like the way it integrates itself into the KDE desktop, makes that right mouse button more useful.

j

... I couldnt get RAR/UNRAR to work for me.
Glad you've solved your rar problem! :) But if you still have an install problem, raise another thread about it, because it should go very simply. Just check your repositories and then you should be able to install anything with just a few clicks in the "add / update software" gui.

Greg2: Yeah I feel your frustration too! If you know to search for unrar (or peazip), you can find it, but if you don't know the name it's not always so easy!