How do I transfer files to an external HDD?

playa4real007

Sounds like a simple permissions problem. First things first:

How is the external hard drive connected? Is it USB?

How is the external hard drive formatted? Is it FAT32?

Is the hard drive mounted, can you read files from it?

Does it work if you try to copy the files as root?

Does the drive really have to be ntfs ???. Is it important that your drive has to be a Microsoft format ??. Unless the drive is going to be used in a windows install then it could be formatted to fat32.

Claims that the ntfs format is more secure than fat32 is apparently bogus from what I have read on the subject. (Yes I know there were supposed to be other benefits as well but I am not concerned with those here)

It was originally intended to make Windows incompatible with anything not Windows. It worked for a while until Linux programmers gradually worked out how to use it.

So really go ahead and reformat to fat32 which Linux deals with easily.

However if the drive will not be connected to windows at any time then format it to ext3 format and you will have no troubles at all.

Cheers. John.

When using a USB 2Gb flash drive recently, I had trouble saving Mail, Passwords and Addresses to it even using su into Konqueror.

No matter what I tried it would not save to the drive which was fat32. I reformatted it to ext3 and have never had a problem since. Yes I know that a Windows cannot handle an ext32 format but I couldn't care less since the drive will never be plugged into a Windows machine.

JB.

Edited by AussieJohn