Mandriva Spring 2007 - Will it work for me?

Guest Inkpot

Guest Inkpot

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Ubuntu (Feisty), and am considering migrating over to Mandriva Spring 2007. My reason for migrating is thus: I *CANNOT* for the life of me, get my ATI X1300 Pro video card to work under Ubuntu. I either get a black screen, or nothing changes whatsoever. Currently, I'm stuck using the generic VESA driver with no 3D acceleration. They have several "solutions" on their forums that simply do not work for me. I have no problems whatsoever with the card under Windows (I have Ubuntu dual-booted with Windows Vista).

SO, gentle readers, my question to you is this: Am I going to run into the same problem with Mandriva Spring 2007? I see that my card has been "tested", but can't seem to find any info on how this "test" turned out. :P Anyway, if Mandriva is going to be a headache for my card like Ubuntu is, I'm not going to bother installing it, you know? So I leave it to you: will Mandriva Spring 2007 work for me? Thank you in advance for your help and/or suggestions! :)

Inkpot

Welcome aboard. :)

My suggestion: Download the 2007.1 ONE (live)-CD (some 690 MB) and test if it works. There are ATI drivers included in ONE, but I don't know for sure if they will work with the X1300.

Guest Inkpot

Thanks for the kind welcome and thanks for your suggestion, but doesn't the LiveCD use a generic driver w/o 3D acceleration? That was the case with the Ubuntu LiveCD, at least. It wasn't until I actually installed it that I found out it was incompatible with my video card. :(

Inkpot

No, the Mandriva Linux One live CD uses the proprietary ATI driver. There's no *technical* reason to make this impossible: Ubuntu chooses not to use the proprietary driver by default on software freedom purity grounds. So, yes, trying the One disc is a valid test to see whether Mandriva will work correctly on your card. It should, but there have been some reports from some ATI users of blank screens when X tries to start up, so it is worth testing. Let us know how it goes :)

Edited by adamw

Guest Inkpot

It is now official: Mandriva will NOT work with my ATI Radeon X1300 Pro video card. As suggested, I tried to run the Mandriva One LiveCD. After the initial splash screen and the "loading kernel" message, the screen went completely black and would not come out of it. This is so disappointing. Looks like I'm going back to windows until Linux and ATI can settle their differences. :(

Thanks for the help, in any case.

Inkpot

Umm..

When it comes to proprietary drivers, it is up to the manufacturer to "settle the differences." For example, Nvidia stuff works marvelously because Nvidia has been writing Linux drivers practically from the beginning. It is an ATI thing, not Linux thing. I thought ATI had gotten up to speed but apparently they have not.

This is the main reason why I'll never buy another ATI card. Nvidia works quickly and simply. ATI unfortunately, seems a little more troublesome. I'm going by the countless posts I read where ATI users have problems.

And I know there a posts for those where ATI do work. I don't remember one relating to Nvidia in these respects other than simply the card you had was:

1. Too old or crap - I had a laptop with an Nvidia Geforce 420 Go that never had supported Linux drivers

2. Wrong driver downloaded because newer drivers dropped support for it.

Other than that your card would work. ATI's claim support, yet can fail or give you worse performance than using the open source drivers like I do with my sole ATI Radeon 9250 card.

now my question would be, could this have something to do with either his MB, some other hardware or the dual VISTA boot?

The reason I ask is that I have a "white box" version of that card and I never even considered that it wouldnt work, and son of a gun, it has worked seemlessly ever since.

But then in that PC I run a pretty generic setup with a fairly easy going MB with MANY of its internal specialtries tuened off.

I mention VISTA, because i know in some distros, a dual boot w/ VISTA is very much not recommended.

as I mentioned in my first post, this 'blank screen with ATI proprietary driver' issue seems to be happening to several people and I'm having a hard time tracking down what it is.

We did track down one possible cause of such a bug - see http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...en_is_displayed and http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30069 - but there seem to be other manifestations too. It's a tricky one :(

just this past week (i believe tuesday) i installed mandriva spring 2007.1 on my laptop. it is an acer aspire 5100 loaded with windows vista home premium. my laptop has the radeon xpress 1100 (integrated) video card installed and i have not had any problems with the laptop running any type of 3D effects or such. and i absolutely have no problem at all dual booting between vista and mandriva. as previous posts have stated, it is probably due to the video card rather than mandriva.

as I mentioned in my first post, this 'blank screen with ATI proprietary driver' issue seems to be happening to several people and I'm having a hard time tracking down what it is.

We did track down one possible cause of such a bug - see http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...en_is_displayed and http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30069 - but there seem to be other manifestations too. It's a tricky one :(

I've actually run into this bug with my Nvidia 8600 Installing 2007.1

It occured when setting up my graphics card. Mine, not being recognized, X-Server automatically selected what I now assume is the default value (S something I think... 4 letter word... I'll edit if I remember it's name). Upon selecting this and testing my configuration with it, My screen received no signal from the computer (I.E: went blank as this poster is saying).

Maybe it's got something to do with incompatibility between Graphics Card and X-Server drivers?

And as a side note here, Because of this problem, it might be worthwhile having a countdown confirm timer after testing an X-Server setup during the install, such that if this should happen, one does not have to restart their machine and re-do the entire install process.

Your problem is not related to the above because 1) it is an Nvidia card, not ATI and 2) you simply need to utilized the Proprietary Nvidia drivers, as we have suggested to you elsewhere. adamw told you that your pci id was not available at the time of the release, but your card will work fine. Despite it looking similar to you, please do not get confused with what you are dealing with and an ATI problem.

Unlike Windows, the "auto configure" functions in a Linux system do not determine whether a device works or not. It simply makes things easier, when it does work. Your video card will work if you follow the steps we have given you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them..