Remove KDE

Rama Murthy

Hello,

I have linux on a 30GB hard drive. But I could see almost 17GB is used by system files. I want more space. Does removing KDE solve this problem? I have'nt downloaded or installed any other software. This huge stuff came with the installation CD.

If yes, how do I remove KDE completly? I am using GNOME.

When I go to mandriva control center, and uncheck all the items related to KDE, it says the size selected is only about 315 KB..thats far less.. is this the size kde really sits on? how do i find out what eating my hard drive?

Thank you so much for you time and helping me..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could clear your urpmi cache, as well as purging your system logs- the latter can be really huge if some persistent events are monitored.

After clearing the above, the installed KDE packages should typically be (for a modular package distro like Mandriva) around 300 MB. You said above 315KB, is it a typo? - plz confirm.

Anyway, if you do a regular

#urpme kdebase kdelibs

it will also uninstall all packages which depend on those two, namely the whole KDE suite.

Thanks for your help. Its 312 exactly. Please find the screen shot attached that talks about the size.

I am sorry for my ignorance, but how do I clear the urpmi cache and purge out the system logs?

i tried urpmi -- clean.. but this gives me the usage options but it does not really clean.

thank you so much

post-18272-1182096799_thumb.png

I suggest you use a file manager as root and have a poke around in your logs. For instance -

kdesu "konqueror -profile filemanagement"

Look in the /var/log directories. You can delete any large logs, as they will get recreated, BUT you should have a look at them first, in case a process is repeatedly failing and filling the log.

If you haven't installed lots of extra software, you shouldn't have to delete any applications...

I have linux on a 30GB hard drive. But I could see almost 17GB is used by system files.

This must be totally wrong - there's no way that the system would use 17 GB, even if you copy the whole DVD to disk. It shouldn't take more than ~10 GB including the DVD copy.

What does the command "df" say? (That is, if you run df <enter> in a terminal window)?

This must be totally wrong - there's no way that the system would use 17 GB, even if you copy the whole DVD to disk. It shouldn't take more than ~10 GB including the DVD copy.

What does the command "df" say? (That is, if you run df <enter> in a terminal window)?

Here's the output: Thank you

[root@localhost Desktop]# df
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda9			  32G   26G  4.6G  85% /
/dev/sda1			 9.8G  8.0G  1.8G  82% /mnt/win_c
/dev/sda5			  30G   29G  507M  99% /mnt/win_d
/dev/sda6			 3.1G  1.8G  1.3G  60% /mnt/win_e

Install a small programme called filelight.

With it you can easily find what area is hogging space.

Judging by the size of what you say is using space, I really don't think kde is going to save you much.

I suspect that you have large caches that are not cleared automatically, including thumbnails of images. in earlier days I was shocked to find that I had 3.5Gbs of thumbnails in a hidden folder called ./thumbnails which caused my home account to be filled up and I was unable to even enter my account .

It looks more like trouble of your own making rather than what Mandriva has done.

I see you don't have a separate partition for /home . You have only one partition for Mandriva for everything.

Not a very good idea. It doesn't surprise me that the amount used is so high because it is system files, music and photos as well most likely, personal files and documents and settings.

You have everything in just one partition whereas most people at least create a separate partition for /home and often separate ones for Photos, music and documents so they can readily see what is generally taking up the most space but most importantly for ease of installations and updates. These extra partitions don't have to be disturbed when doing installs or upgrades.

There are also a lot of applications that you use in Gnome that also use kde files as well, and vis a versa.

John.

It looks more like trouble of your own making rather than what Mandriva has done.

I see you don't have a separate partition for /home . You have only one partition for Mandriva for everything. Not a very good idea.

I agree with AussieJohn. The problem lies with your partitioning, not with KDE.

I would suggest that you backup all your personal files to another disk (borrow one if you have no extra space, or burn it all to DVD's) and do a complete reinstall.

If you want plenty of space, you can make a "/" partition of, let's say, 12 GB, and a "/home" partition of 18 GB.

This time, if you don't want KDE, only check "Gnome" when you choose which desktop to install.

You might wind with some KDE libraries anyway, but the size will be insignificant.

The partitioning isnt going to fix anything, though it might have been nice if done at install time. If he had a seperate /home, he'd have less space everywhere, his remaining space would be split between the two. So now, there's no point moving home, it'll result in less space for / and /home.

It's the same amount of data, in the same space, but now the remainder is split.

James

It's the same amount of data, in the same space, but now the remainder is split.

Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that when you have a separate /home partition, you can see what data belongs to what part, since he obviously doesn't know that now.

And I suggest that it would be rather easy to fix - having "/home" separate makes it so much easier to handle in the long run that maybe it's worth the trouble.

And, of course, you don't have to have 12 GB for the "/" partition; that's just if you allow yourself the luxury to copy the contents of the DVD to disk (which I usually do).

Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that when you have a separate /home partition, you can see what data belongs to what part, since he obviously doesn't know that now.

And I suggest that it would be rather easy to fix - having "/home" separate makes it so much easier to handle in the long run that maybe it's worth the trouble.

And, of course, you don't have to have 12 GB for the "/" partition; that's just if you allow yourself the luxury to copy the contents of the DVD to disk (which I usually do).

oh but it is the point. it's too late to separate home now. so we need to identify where the space is used, using tools like du, and filelight.

Hello,

I have linux on a 30GB hard drive. But I could see almost 17GB is used by system files. I want more space. Does removing KDE solve this problem? I have'nt downloaded or installed any other software. This huge stuff came with the installation CD.

If yes, how do I remove KDE completly? I am using GNOME.

When I go to mandriva control center, and uncheck all the items related to KDE, it says the size selected is only about 315 KB..thats far less.. is this the size kde really sits on? how do i find out what eating my hard drive?

Thank you so much for you time and helping me..

Well you want to remove KDE but Konqueror has a very handy tool, called filesize view which allows you to see the size of all directories and files graphically.

Last week I had a similar problem btw, I found /tmp was filled up with gigabytes of flash files!

Thanks all for the help.. i ll try file size today...

And, if splitting my hard-drive would only give me clarity, thats Ok.. as If i repartition my hard drive, i will also loose my windows partitions..

Does splitting my HDD improve performance? If yes, then I would give it a try..

I realised removing KDE is not a solution... i deleted log files.. it freed up 1.7 GB...

I think i will uninstall unnecessary applications too and check..

oh but it is the point. it's too late to separate home now. so we need to identify where the space is used, using tools like du, and filelight.

?? Either, I didn't make myself clear, or otherwise you didn't read my post :-/

Of course, it's not to late. It's a bit of work, yes, but all he has to do is to save *the important files*. like images, text files, music and so on, to other media, then to do a reinstall and format the new partitions.

He has a dumb setup now - why not help him to make it better?