Remove KDE

Rama Murthy

hard drive, i will also loose my windows partitions..

You don't have to lose your windows partitions, they will not be affected at all if you split up your linux partition. (And I don't think the performance will be affected, either way).

All you have to do is to transfer your *important data* (that is, data that you have created or added yourself, to your user directory) to another disk or DVD, and then do a new install with a new partitioning. Then, just copy the data back to your new "/home" partition.

You may have to reinstall some programs, but otherwise everything should be OK.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So which do you think is the easier solution?

1) Delete the files which are taking up the space on the hard drive

2) Backup all the stuff, repartition the hard drive, reinstall the operating system, copy the files back, reinstall the programs, reset the configuration, settings, tweak everything back to the way it was

?

I'm not saying repartitioning is a bad idea, but it's a mighty big sledgehammer to crack a tiny nut here. And if space is limited then it only reduces the available space on / even further. It could even make the problem worse.

Here's something I wrote on another thread, might be of some use:

Why is my hard drive full?

Could be because of a large number of programs installed, or it could be full of meaningless junk and log files and stuff. The application "filelight" is a good way of isolating where the space is being used up, but assuming that you haven't got space to install filelight right now, you can use Konqueror to look at the directories under "/" and look at the properties of each, to see how big it is. If it's several gig, go inside it and repeat to see which of the subdirectories under that one is so big, and so on. Or if you like the command line you can use the "du" command (probably with a "--max-depth" option) to print out the sizes of directories under "/".

I'd be interested to know how you "could see almost 17GB is used by system files." - where did you see this?

And just to repeat, yes the advice to have a separate /home is good, and maybe next time you install you should carefully consider this.

So which do you think is the easier solution?

Of course it's easier to delete the files. I think though (as I said before) that it might be worth the extra trouble to create a saner setup. (Something tells me that, if you find 17 GB of unknown files on your disk, that some of the "tweaking" that was done may not have been perfect anyway :-) )

But of course it's up the user - I'm just saying that it's perfectly doable without destroying the windows partitions.

There is only one reason where you would only create one partition of / on your system. That is if you have a very small hard disk in your machine, which is unlikely these days. Reason for not splitting on smaller disks is so that you don't restrict yourself by allocating space to mount points that are unlikely to use it. As I said, this is unlikely these days that you would ever do this.

It seems Rama Murthy here partitioned only one partition from the df command. Incidently, a great way to check your directory sizes from the command line is:

cd /
du -sh `ls`

It will then check each directory as it does a directory listing, creating a summary for each directory and ensuring it lists in MB than in bytes.

Looks like your command is the same as

du --max-depth=1

except that I don't understand the `ls` part - what do those slopey apostrophes do?

It looks like you're piping the output of the ls command to du, but I've not seen that syntax before.

It looks like you're piping the output of the ls command to du, but I've not seen that syntax before.
Basically, except it's not really piping, it's more like you're passing the output of ls as variables. If you were to do ls | du -sh I think you would get different output (something worth testing, anyways - I'm no bash guru).

You're right, it is different, because ls | du -sh doesn't work. :unsure:

Ian's command is basically the same as

du -s *

though, from what I can tell. Except that I can type it without copy-pasting from Ian's post :) (I think that's the first time I've ever tried to use that key on my keyboard, and it doesn't seem to work!)

Sure but you should remove them using urpme or the add/remove software tool rather than just deleting the files. If you want to use the command line you can use

rpm -qa | grep locale

to list the rpms you have installed, then use urpme to remove them.

it is safe to delete the locales which I don't need from /usr/share/locale/ there a lot of them and they take up 234MB

[greg@halfway share]$ du -sh locale
41M	 locale

for en only

I'm sorry, Rama. We seem to be taking over your thread. Let us know if you have any problems?

oops.. i m scared... :)

i think i have found out the problem... i kept on checking the size of each folder in my file system..

i found the size of mnt folder as whooping 19.4 GB.. its showing all my windows partitions in it.. i am clue less now.. why are files in windows file system are occupying my linux space??

plz refer the screen shot...

thanks once again to every one for trying to help me out... thanks so much for your patience..

post-18272-1182304292_thumb.png

there are two folders in my file system called "ftp" and "lib"... what are they meant for? they occupy about 4 gb...

the ftp folder has a folder called mandriva... it has all .rpms..

and the lib has strange stuff like core.3743 etc.. these are occupy about 2 gb!!

can i delete these?