Mandriva 2007 Spring disappointing

Srikar

Hi,

Im a linux newbie who used Mandriva 2007 and recently upgraded to 2007 Spring. I run my Presario V3000z laptop entirely on Mandriva (no Windows also). Now im facing some really frustrating problems on Mandriva Spring.

1) When I switch on 3D desktop using Beryl, my Wireless LAN doesn't work.The symbol in the system tray suggests that it is still connected,but none of the web pages turn up. I have configured Wireless over ndiswrapper with Windows drivers. Recently, this problem has slowly crept into the non-3D desktop scenario also. I know this is not a Wireless router problem as the Vista laptops just beside me connect fine.

2) When I switch on the 3D desktop over Beryl and start watching any vidoes over Kaffeine or KMPlayer, the video gets stuck periodically and don't get rendered smoothly. On disablng of the 3D desktop, the video's runs fine.

3) The headphones and the microphone jack don't work at all. Tried upgrading to ALSA 1.0.14rc3,but that entirely screwed up my sound.

I use the nvidia 9755 drivers downloaded from the nvidia site,not the Madriva plf drivers. The laptop hardware specs are Turion X2 1.86 Ghz, NVidia Go 6150, 2 GB RAM, Broadcom 4310 Wireless, 80 GB SATA 5400 rpm.

The output of lsmod | grep snd incase you need the sound specs are

snd_seq_dummy 3364 0

snd_seq_oss 29088 0

snd_seq_midi_event 6880 1 snd_seq_oss

snd_seq 46576 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event

snd_seq_device 6892 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq

snd_pcm_oss 38880 0

snd_mixer_oss 15072 1 snd_pcm_oss

snd_hda_intel 15124 1

snd_hda_codec 154688 1 snd_hda_intel

snd_pcm 65956 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

snd_timer 18692 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm

snd_page_alloc 8136 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

snd 44228 11 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_h

da_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

Plz help, as Im thinking seriously about switching back to Vista or XP.

Edited by Srikar

2) When I switch on the 3D desktop over Beryl and start watching any vidoes over Kaffeine or KMPlayer, the video gets stuck periodically and don't get rendered smoothly. On disablng of the 3D desktop, the video's runs fine.

Have You tried changing Settings -> xine engine parameters -> video -> driver to opengl in Kaffeine (or maybe similar setting in Xine)? Maybe this will help. Read also this errata content for further explanation.

Edited by zibi1981

For your sound have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt. You can set options on the snd_hda_intel module.

I had no sound at all on an Asus A7T laptop untiil I put...

options snd-hda-intel model=asus-dig (I think that's right)

...into /etc/modprobe.conf.

Hope that helps a little.

Have You tried changing Settings -> xine engine parameters -> video -> driver to opengl in Kaffeine (or maybe similar setting in Xine)? Maybe this will help. Read also this errata content for further explanation.

Thanks very much for the info.This fixed the problem. I will have an eye on the errata from now on.

For your sound have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt. You can set options on the snd_hda_intel module.

I had no sound at all on an Asus A7T laptop untiil I put...

options snd-hda-intel model=asus-dig (I think that's right)

...into /etc/modprobe.conf.

Hope that helps a little.

Im still not fully clear on how to go about the headphones mic issue. Could you plz be eloborate ?

Could you plz be eloborate ?

I'm afraid noone can, unles YOU elaborate first.

snd-hda-intel is a very generic soundcard driver, which is using more than a dozen of codecs.

Simply say what you have got there, and surely enough someone will be able to help you.

I'm afraid noone can, unles YOU elaborate first.

snd-hda-intel is a very generic soundcard driver, which is using more than a dozen of codecs.

Simply say what you have got there, and surely enough someone will be able to help you.

How do I find which codec it uses ? Im not sure of that. I have already posted the output of my lsmod | grep snd.

Isn't this a little low for 3D desktop using Beryl?

Maybe a little low. But I can say for sure that Vista with all its resource hogging worked very smooth with all the Aero effects turned on . Then I think even Beryl might.

How do I find which codec it uses ? Im not sure of that. I have already posted the output of my lsmod | grep snd.

What about consulting Compaq and asking the needed info- or checking the notebook manual you should have right there?

We can do that for you, but we are certainly lacking the motivation... :P

Edited by scarecrow

What about consulting Compaq and asking the needed info- or checking the notebook manual you should have right there?

We can do that for you, but we are certainly lacking the motivation... :P

Well does this help and motivate ? ;) ;) This is my complete ALSA information.

http://pastebin.ca/498728

Edited by Srikar

Yes, this is definitely more helpful... but unfortunately I cannot give an equally helpful solution, other than this soundcard is properly supported from alsa version 2.0.14RC3 onwards (latest devel version is 2.0.14RC4). With previous versions there was wrong input recognition which was killing the main channel output (or at least that is what I have been informed from Gentoo forums- I do not own, or have ever toyed, with that particular soundcard).

It seems like a relatively hard nut to crack, but compiling alsa 2.0.14 RC3/4 from source is neither very simple, nor a monstrous task. I guess you can make it with a little care. We will be glad to help you doing it. It seems that you already tried to compile and load 10.14RC3 and failed, but it might be just an alsamixer issue.

Edited by scarecrow