KDE disappeared after LDAP uninstall! [solved]

Levrie

Artic,

Did as you suggested but no result to report.

Same error message about older dependecies on kdebase etc. I pressed Y to overide the error but yet again it did not install although it did install the multimedia etc.

Sorry but I'm at sea on this!!!

Regards

David

If Konqueror is not started, then - yes, some essential things got removed. Do now as I said before: urmpi --clean and then urpmi the rest.

Good luck. :)

Levrie... its not an "error" you are meant to say yes to but the fact it will find and install the dependencies....

If it can't find the dependencies it isn't going to work...

Do you still have LDAP installed???

If so then this could be what is blocking the dependencies being installed....

KDE is big... lots of deps but its pretty internally coherent... that is the deps are well known and made not to conflict with different versions...

Pretty much the whole of KDE *needs* to be the recommended version... you can mess about a bit but unexpected things will start happening...

If you uninstall LDAP completetly and then try and get KDE installed and up yopu can probably sort out the LDAP stuff later... and it will be much easier than sorting out KDE with a mixed set of libs...

I completely agree with Gowator. If you still have problems reinstalling the kdebase, try to use the --force command. On urpmi usage and commands, check

urpmi --help

or

man urpmi

(press "q" for exiting the manpage)

Mes chers amis,

Disaster!

I did the 'force' thingy and nothing changed at all.

So...... I then unilaterally decided to urpme kde completey and reinstall! The install went well and without incident but..... Now I have a login Menu which is visually corrupt and despite my user/login will not log me in... screen just goes black for 5 seconds and then returns to the errant screen.

Logged into the 'failsafe' method and then 'startx' but just says cannot find x server, also tried to 'startkde' but obviously with no x no kde either!!! Zoot alors!!!!

David

Apparently a config porblem. Boot in normal mode. Press ALT+CTRL+F1. This will drop you to the console. Log in as root and type

chown -R username:username /home/username

Replace username with your account name. Now press CTRL+ALT+F7. Try to log in again. Does it work or does it still refuse to start KDE?

Apparently a config porblem. Boot in normal mode. Press ALT+CTRL+F1. This will drop you to the console. Log in as root and type

chown -R username:username /home/username

Replace username with your account name. Now press CTRL+ALT+F7. Try to log in again. Does it work or does it still refuse to start KDE?

or even if this still gives problems you can stop kdm .. (but do what arctic says 1st...)

/etc/init.d/kdm stop (should do it so long as the login manger is KDM )

and try the old

startkde (as your user)

also make sure you actually have space....

df -k

should show mounted drives and used space .. just to check it its not starting because it can't create a little lock file etc.

I've emailed Levrie the following document instructions:

Make sure no LDAP packages are installed:

rpm -qa | grep -i ldap

If there are, remove them:

urpme packagename

Now we need to find out what packages you have installed. Run this command:

rpm -qa | sort > packagelist

rpm -qa | wc -l >> packagelist

the first command will list all packages installed, sort them in alphabetical order, and then put them into a file called packagelist so that you can compare this against my package list.

The second command, counts all the packages and the >> makes sure that it adds it to the file packagelist. Make sure you type two >> otherwise a single one will overwrite the file completely, than append.

Now, my install is a generic install that I always run. I will be missing some packages that you have installed, and that is OK. What you need to pay attention to is what packages I have on my list, that you do not have installed on your system. Then you need to install these packages.

I'm hoping you have a fast internet connection and are willing to get all the packages from the internet. Trying to get them from CD with the current state of your system will be problematic. So, I suggest doing this now:

urpmi.removemedia -a

this command removes all repositories from your system. Now you need to add some repositories. Add these to your system:

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://spirit.bentel.sk/mirrors/plf/mandriva/free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://spirit.bentel.sk/mirrors/plf/mandri...ree/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M...0/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M...i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M...6/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

as you can see, I've separated each line. The last three lines wrap around, but these are one full command, so make sure you copy the full line.

Now that once you've added the sources, you will be installing packages from the internet. Review your list. Any packages that are on your list that are on my list, delete from my list. Once you've finished, my list will only have packages that you don't have on your system. Then, install them using this command:

urpmi packagename

once you've finished the full list, I would then reboot your system. That should sort you out, however, when you get to the GUI login screen, at the bottom choose settings and change from IceWM to KDE.

I've not included the packagelist in this post, as it would be pointless listing an additional 800 or so lines of installed packages.

The idea is to get Levrie to compare his list against mine and install the missing packages to get him back to where he was because it all went wrong.

Further update.

Applying all the updates didn't seem to do the trick. It probably pulled in some dependencies along the way and fixed any potential missing files.

However, login was still a problem, kdm obviously having a fit.

Fixed with replacing the kdmrc file with the kdmrc.rpmnew from the rpm when it was reinstalled. Since if config files exist, and the rpm is reinstalled, it won't overwrite your config automatically.

After doing this with kdmrc and some other kde rpmnew files, KDE is now behaving normally and Levrie can now log in again. Some minor fixes to get the system fully functional (apache), but I'm sure Levrie will ask along the way if he has any further questions :)

Glad it's all fixed and running now though.

Really strange freak of nature this one. I've used OpenLDAP a couple of times on 2006 and 2007, and all was OK. Can't reall offer an explanation, but I think there were some gremlins in the system! :D