Root partition keeps growing [solved]

opvask

My root partition seems to be growing bigger and bigger even if I remove an installed package it still takes up space.

Half an hour ago I installed the game "savage" but I had problems with it so I removed it. But now it seems like savage is still taking up space on the harddrive.

The directory "/root/.local/share/trash/files" is huge and there are also a couple of "savage" directories in this folder (about 600 MB each). If I delete these folders then new ones are automatically created. If I delete the folders "savage, savage1, savage2" then new ones are created and numbered "savage3, savage4, savage5".

Isn't this folder a tmp or trash folder? does it have to take up 10 GB of space or can I delete things in it in some way? Any folder I delete is recreated with a new number, like mentioned above. The folder is also full of RPM packages.

I hope someone can improve my knowledge about this issue. I generally have no problems using Linux but I do have some problems cleaning up my system when removing software. Every time I install/uninstall something I loose space (>6 GB the past week).

Thanks in advance

opvask

How did you delete the files? Did you use e.g. KDE and move the files to the trashcan or did you remove the files using the command line?

I removed the files from "konqueror" by using "kdesu konqueror" and deleting them from /usr/local/games.

What I don't understand is that the big folder in /root/.local is called "trash". So are all files in that folder really trash? It's like 10 GB.

Like mentioned I tried to delete files in the /root/.local/share/trash folder but the system immediately recreates them. I also did this with kdesu konqueror.

How did you uninstall the program?

When the files is in that folder it seems that you somehow have moved them thrash (as root).

I may have done this. Like mentioned I deleted things with "kdesu konqueror". The files did not go to the recycle bin and the recycle bin is empty.

I'm not sure what the folder /root/.local/share/trash is for. But being a trash folder I should be able to empty it right?

It seems I can delete files from "root konsole" but can I safely delete ALL files in that folder?

Edited by opvask

Okay. I found out how to delete folders from the /root/.local/share/trash/files folder by using "files]#rm -rf dirname"

I have deleted the "savage" folders but before I continue I'd like to know if it's safe to delete ALL other files in that folder.

Thanks in advance and btw... great forum. :D

I may have done this. Like mentioned I deleted things with "kdesu konqueror". The files did not go to the recycle bin and the recycle bin is empty.
When you delete things with Konqueror, you can either just move them to the trash (using the delete key or edit->move to wastebin or rightclick->move to wastebin) or you can delete them completely (using shift-delete key or edit->delete or rightclick-delete).

They didn't appear in your trash because you weren't you when you deleted them. root sent them to his trash.

You have gone about removing programs totally the wrong way. Doing it your way no wonder your trash was so large.

I am surprised that nobody else picked up on it.

The best way to remove programs doesn't require use of the CLI at all.

Open MCC (I presume you are using Mandriva) and select Software Management then select Look at installed software and uninstall software packages. Select the packages you want deleted and it will also tell you what dependencies if any also need to be deleted. If a dependency is required by some other program it will tell you. When a program is deleted it is deleted and not simply moved to trash.

Why you are playing around with the CLI when you are not really aware of the way your OS works is beyond me. Unfortunately the cli experienced enthusiests don't help the situation much but they are often the keenest to help.

Mandriva (and other Linux OSs ) have developed these program deletion tools for a very good reason, namely to make it easier to remove programs safely and reliably.

Use MCC to install and remove software and you will rarely have trouble.

Cheers. John.

Very good advice, except if the program at hand was not installed via MCC or an .rpm, like say an sh or .run file , or compiled from source for example, in which case MCC Software manager won't be much help. I just done a quick search with MCC, and I didn't turn up anything related to Savage other than a video driver, so in this case the program may have been installed via another method than MCC/urpmi or an .rpm. But in principle what you say is dead on IMO.

Well if I could I would have removed the program from the MCC but this was not possible with "savage". It was not installed from the MCC either. Normally I uninstall by using "urpme" or from the MCC but this program was installed from a .run file. So I do use MCC when possible but mostly I use the konsole with "urpmi".

Saying I do not know my OS is not quite true but I'm still not an experienced Linux user with years of use behind me. So I learn from my mistakes and thanks to the answers in this post I now know more. the "kdesu konqueror" was something I used occasionally when I used Kubuntu, to remove files (not installed packages, I used aptitude or adept for that) where I needed root access, but I did not run into this growing root partition problem there. I actually thought that deleting files from konqueror with root access would "wipe" the files away completely. I now know this is not the case. Live and learn.

I just wanted to make sure that it's safe to delete the files. They are gone now.

Thanks people... Problem solved :D

Edited by opvask

In the future, you might prefer to use checkinstall, which basically transforms a non-RPM install into an RPM one.

Yves.

Yeah, good point. I haven't had the time to examine how "checkinstall" works yet, but I've been thinking of doing it.

I'll have a look at it when I get myself to close that damn "Ladbrokes". :D Thanks for the tip.

Regards opvask