I'm going back to Redhat

hugerobot

For some reason ALSA doesn't work now that I've installed MDK 9.1. OSS does.

But mplayer wont play DVDs anymore because the OSS drivers are too slow, buggy, whatever.

Also my TV Tuner card's sound is MONO, and now, instead of splitting the signal accross both speakers (which seemed to be the case by default with ALSA), I only get sound out of the left speaker.

In addition, I cant get my scanner to work, or my quick cam. I was getting by without them, because KDE 3.1 was so sweet it was worth the trade off... but now that my sound is screwed up too, I don't think I want to deal with this distro anymore.

No point in trying to help me with these problems... If you search the forum you'll see long threads in which I have tried in vein to fix them.

But now I'm bailing off of this sinking ship.

I hope there's a Redhat forum half as fun as this one!

(BTW- I am going to Redhat 7.3. Everything worked with that distro)

I hope there's a Redhat forum half as fun as this one! 

Good luck. Yea, I liked RedHat 7.3 as well. Very nice distro.

As for the RedHat forum, doesn't exist so you might as well stay here.

I loaded 7.3 awhile back. It was nice, but fuzzylizard is right. Only people who would talk to about my questions were rude. You get the best support here. (Actually, you could get could redhat support here, I am sure!)

There is a redhat forum ( http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/ ) with lots of helpful lists in https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo , which is obviously paid for by redhat (unlike mandrake). Another good thing about these lists is that many redhat developers visit them regularly and answer questions for free (take a look at https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xfree8...3q1/thread.html for the redhat developer Mike A. Harris ). When was the last time a mandrake developer visited this forum ?

What I find disgusting about mandrake is that they won't support any forum (financially and technically) and to add to these all, they will never fix long outstanding bugs. The 9.1 release has tons of bugs that were reported multiple times but still have slipped into the final release.

I wish hugerobot good luck with this transition.

does this mean that hugerobot didnt have a previous mdk release that worked for him? that's sad. anyway, may you find linux nirvana in redhat.

ciao!

Guest boonders

9.1 works well for me. Tried the upgrade again, for kicks, it was a complete disaster, this was a 9.0 original install, NO 3rd party software. And it was TERRIBLE! it was completely broken, i had no idea where to start for a bug report. The only problem i had was with 2 hard drives, it didn't want to work(from the installer), just setup it up after i installed 9.1. Other than that, MDKgalaxy is hot!

Eight replies! Wow... I am moved.

Actually, I expect that since visiting this site has become such a part of my daily routine that I will continue to come here...

I am installing RH7.3 on my PC right now. Hopefully once I run the up2date it will be "Linux Nirvana" (hehe). But I'll probably continue to post, ask questions, offer advice. Its not THAT MUCH different...

To clarify one point: No. I have never had a fully functional Mandrake install. I had my scanner working, then the TV card went, then the printer, then the webcam.. Then I'd get them working and one would go again. Now, after hoping 9.1 would make the situation better, I find that I am in the same situation, only a little worse, because ALSA doesnt work and I have to use OSS, which has created it's own little set of problems.

BTW - A while back someone had suggested a support forum for other distros (I think they mentioned Red Hat by name)... I didn't really care back then, but now it sounds like a great idea!!!

Eight replies! Wow... I am moved.

BTW - A while back someone had suggested a support forum for other distros (I think they mentioned Red Hat by name)... I didn't really care back then, but now it sounds like a great idea!!!

everyone is important here. :)

as for the other distro forum, i think it got scrapped. post your questions in the most relevant forum (of course that excludes the "installing mandrake"forum" :mystilol:) or else put it in everything linux.

ciao!

To clarify one point: No. I have never had a fully functional Mandrake install. I had my scanner working, then the TV card went, then the printer, then the webcam.. Then I'd get them working and one would go again. Now, after hoping 9.1 would make the situation better, I find that I am in the same situation, only a little worse, because ALSA doesnt work and I have to use OSS, which has created it's own little set of problems.

Eugenia at OS News suggested you can switch between OSS and ALSA driver at Mandrake Control Center (MCC), here's how I did it for my SB Live:

MCC > Hardware > HardDrake List

Click the item under the 'Soundcard' entry.

The info window will display the module name for the soundcard.

You can click on the option: > Runconfig tool > Let me pick any driver

If your soundcard has ALSA support, the module name should be there on the list. Click on it, change and save the setting.

You should then notice the ALSA module should have started and running in the service/daemon list located by MCC > System > DrakXService list.

If ALSA is successfully started, you need to adjust the mixer setting since the default volume level is zero and no sound can be heard.

You can adjust the volume & mixer settings in _both_ Aumix and Kmix (for KDE, which is I am using).

Hope this can help.

I'm back to Mandrake 9.1

I installed Redhat 7.3, updated it (until 3am) and spent time configuring it, and I had all the same problems...

I think my scanner is busted. I have had the same problems with 9.0, 7.3 and 9.1 (all clean installs, done yesterday)

Thanks to zero0w. I got ALSA working, and everything sounds great.

I am going to try the scanner on a windows machine at work and see if it broken or not. Can I damage it with the software somehow? Its possible I did, since I tried so many firmware files to find the right one...

One last thing: Did anyone have trouble during the installation with OpenOffice.org? I got an error every time I installed 9.1 (3 times so far lol) I was concerned, but I downloaded the rpms from one of the distro mirrors and it installed fine.

Thanks

Rob

Guest davebsr

i didn't have any problems with 00.org in 9.1 - and in my experience, if it doesn't work with Mandrake linux, it doesn't work. The only exception being an HP USB cd-burner. that was pretty nasty in windows, but it worked. Closed source drivers...arghzor.

Glad to see you're back with MDK tho. Just keep trying, you'll get it.

With mandrake, it takes longer to set up...and then things work for me. With windows, setup takes a LONG time, but things still break...at random...

hint: make a rootlog. every time you do something as root, put it in your log. You'll notice, when something breaks, it usually was from something you did as root. At least, it's always been that way for me...