My New Website!

ianw1974

Any who've visited my family site, would have found I had a mixture of family stuff, and Linux stuff. I'm now in the process of migrating it to my new website.

I bought the domain name, linuxsolutions.org and have started to set it up recently. It's using Joomla for the content management, to help make things easier for me so that I don't have to keep designing everything all the time, and resetting layouts each time I make changes.

The idea is, I'll be putting a lot more information on there soon. I basically just wanted to get some input on what you all think of it so far.

The url is:

http://www.linuxsolutions.org

of which is also in my sig too down below.

Please do give me some feedback, all is appreciated, I'll have more content soon as I'm just starting off :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice 'n' clean :thumbs:

Just a small typo here:

My first experience of Linux came in about 1998, when I installed Mandrake Linux 7.2 on my machine at home. I think I had it for a few days, because at that tim, I didn't have the time to try and learn it fully, so ended up going back to Windows full time, and removed Mandrake from my system.

Cool, thanks for that. The html editor has this dark blue background, so it's very hard to see what I'm typing :P

Not been able to figure out if I can change the background colour to be able to see more clearly.

Will have the banner fixed up at some point, that's why it's a little blank on the graphic front at the top - just in case anyone notices ;)

Congratulations on your new site, Ian! It looks very nice. The only question I have is whether the font size is perhaps a little too small. The page-to-PDF feature is nice.

Regarding your family site - those pictures of Mitzy the cat are terrific! Since my gf got a cat around a year ago, I have come to appreciate the many endearing aspects of cats.

I think a lot of the font stuff is based via the template. Although it seems to be the same size as the font here too in the posts :)

I'll see if I can find some other templates I like and maybe give them a go.

I think a lot of the font stuff is based via the template. Although it seems to be the same size as the font here too in the posts :)

I'll see if I can find some other templates I like and maybe give them a go.

Hmmm. On my machine, in both firefox and opera, the font size appears much smaller than the font size here at MUB. If you do a View -> Text Size -> Normal in FF, does it still look the same to you?

I see from the page source that a CSS file, template_css.css, is used. If you like the template but just want to tweak a few things, you could just edit that CSS file accordingly.

Very nice ian. And I think the fonts look fine. jboy just needs glasses and won't admit it. :P

My glasses look pretty cool, don't you think? :geek:

Well, font mystery solved, sort of. I was viewing the site in firefox and opera on Windows XP. So I booted up Mandriva 2007 in a VM and guess what - in 2007 on firefox, the font sizes look the same, just as Ian said. Duh. I don't know why that would be. Why would font size look different on firefox in XP vs Linux? I guess these are the kinds of things that complicate life for web developers.

Your email function didn't work - it just said "ensure the form is complete and valid" and then deleted all the nice comments I'd typed in... :angry:

So now you can't hear how I like the design and can read it fine (on IE6/XP) and that it looks like a great start. Or that I would suggest that the URLs of the links should be shown too, cos otherwise you can't see where the links actually point to without clicking on them (the statusbar just shows another linuxsolutions.org URL).

Oh, wait...

If you are new to webdesign like possibly most of us you may find this site helpful http://www.webdesign.org/ ther are some good tutorials on html and css aswell as tutorials on all othe things web related and if you get bored of that then give this 1 a try http://www.tutorialized.com/. And in the future if you decide to do an update as most web masters do give these a try http://www.oswd.org/.

Nice site by the way

Your email function didn't work - it just said "ensure the form is complete and valid" and then deleted all the nice comments I'd typed in... :angry:

So now you can't hear how I like the design and can read it fine (on IE6/XP) and that it looks like a great start. Or that I would suggest that the URLs of the links should be shown too, cos otherwise you can't see where the links actually point to without clicking on them (the statusbar just shows another linuxsolutions.org URL).

Oh, wait...

Hi neddie,

I'll check the email form. There were a few things I could choose when setting it up, so I may just have a wrong option. I'd honestly not tested it, so I'll get onto that now.

I'll see on the links thing as well, I only realised that the way the content management system works, it's not obvious what link is going where as my website is pulling all the info from a mysql database.

It's all joomla, so I've not coded a bean, or designed anything, created the mysql database or understand it's working. I've just added the content and let joomla do the rest.

If you are new to webdesign like possibly most of us you may find this site helpful http://www.webdesign.org/ ther are some good tutorials on html and css aswell as tutorials on all othe things web related and if you get bored of that then give this 1 a try http://www.tutorialized.com/. And in the future if you decide to do an update as most web masters do give these a try http://www.oswd.org/.

Nice site by the way

I'm not overly new, but I like to take the easy approach and do the WYSIWYG stuff :P

OK, I've addressed the issues raised by neddie.

1. Email works, I'd just not configured the back end on what to use to send the mail. Works, just tested now.

2. Web Links, no functionality to actually enable and show it, show I just edited each entry and put the URL at the end of it. At least can see where the link is going before clicking it. The website is obviously using the linuxsolutions.org url to pull the information from the mysql database, rather than showing the actual link itself when you have the mouse over it.

Please let me know if there's anything else, and thanks to everyone and glad you're liking it :P