KDE 3.1.1 released

ezroller

Hmmm.. considering how much Cooker's KDE 3.1 differ from Texstar's KDE 3.1, do you think that Mandrake 9.1 is basically KDE 3.1.0.5? (well you know what I mean). Especially considering this quote from the press release.

Besides the superb and invaluable efforts by the KDE developers  themselves, significant support for KDE development has been provided by MandrakeSoft and SuSE.

I wonder how long until someone create rpms for Mandrake 9.0?

Funny, there is no mention about the new kmix since that is the first thing I notice when switching from texstar's kde 3.1 to Cooker's 3.1.

all i know is that my main goal for the day is to rid my box of whatever version came with 9.1rc2. Be that cooker, new textar rpm's or some source, this current version i'm using is gone!

It was release in the portage tree (Gentoo) yesterday night. I'm compiling it right now. Will see if it differs from 3.1 that much. I checked the changelog (3.1 to 3.1.1) and it is mostly a bug fix release. I also noticed they solved a number of issues related to konqueror taking years to start up. Hope this is true !

MOttS

Ok I run 3.1.1 right now. I don't see any difference tho exept that Konqueror starts significantly faster now.. but other than that, this is really a bug fix release.

MOttS

Mandrake needs to catch up and 9.1 must come with kde-3.1.1 + qt-3.1.2.

9.1 has already been sent out to be published. Too late to include 3.1.1. They did a package freeze on Cooker except for bug fixes weeks ago anyway, so even if it hadn't gone to press, it still wouldn't have been included.

It was release in the portage tree (Gentoo) yesterday night.  I'm compiling it right now.  Will see if it differs from 3.1 that much.  I checked the changelog (3.1 to 3.1.1) and it is mostly a bug fix release.  I also noticed they solved a number of issues related to konqueror taking years to start up.  Hope this is true !

MOttS

Is there much involved in compiling KDE? I know it's pretty big. I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Do you have any tips for a relative newbie?

- Cheers.

Tips: Be patient .. it took me about 1 days to compile the whole thing :wink:  

MottS, can you tell me what kind of hardware do you use to compile KDE? Is the one day compiling everything or just kdebase? The time it takes makes me appreciate people like Texstar who makes RPMs even for big stuff like KDE.