upgrading from 10.1 to 2007 pwp is a nightmare

chris-tux

Thanks for your reply,

As it was impossible for me to upgrade, I performed a fresh install leaving my /home intact. Anyway, there are problems detected for many packages. Does it mean that I had a problem when burning out the 2007 pwp dvd but md5sum was correct and k3b didn't complain of anything !

What is the "normal" duration for installation ? (1h, 2h..10 hours..?)

The problem is that now, it seems to be difficult to access to my home partition :huh:

chris

I take it that you can login but you have problems accessing your home folder?

If so try renaming you user /home/yourusername/.kde folder to .old-kde or whatever then log out & back in again. This should give you a clean desktop enviroment. All you need to do then is copy your configs etc from the .old-kde to the new .kde

HTH

Edited by jaraeez

Try moving all files and folders that start with a "." in your homefolder to a new folder (~/old or something).

If the problems ocurred during the install I'd guess it's a bad burn...

better still create a new user....

get this working and then you can start copying stuff incrementally....

I doubt you need a new install at all...

when you say you can't log in that almost impossible ... if you boot to RL 1 you don't even need a password but perhaps your keymaps are messed up? (its typing different in your password)

if you want to use a GUI to do the rest then I'd install something like ICEWM (very small) but I think its just your user can't log into the gui.... can you log in as root on tty1? how about the user ?

I was not even accessing to lilo. In fact, I know now that my dvd was not correctly burned even if all was ok with k3k. I will now perform a md5sum before burning the iso and after on the iso burned. Perhaps it was because k3b speed is on auto by default. I used then successfully nero at 1X speed.

I can boot now but have problem with the display (gotta nvidia NV31 GeForce FX 5600XT card) It was ok with the nvidia drivers on my 10.1... The configuration seems ok ( I choose NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic) ). I'll have a look on the forum and perhaps open a new thread.

Sounds like you need to do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

to get the drivers you need for your card. However, you need to visit the easyurpmi link at set up repositiories for main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree to do all this.

Thank you Ian for your help,

In fact, as I was suspecting that all came because I performed a fresh install (but leaving my /home) even with a new user, I erase my /home partition and reinstall 2007: now the display is ok. Unfortunately, I can look at a clear display but I have strange freezes (I need to reset, it's like a hard freeze :o ).

I looked at the memory, tried with noapic but with no results. The worse situtation is then I try to load KDE I can't even go to the desktop. Gnome and IceWM are a little better, I can work a little but after a while .... :wall:

Any Help Appreciated... I will open a new thread for that problem.

Chris