Install Mandriva 2007

linux_trojan

There's a few ways. Boot in 2006, then do:

urpmi.removemedia -a

this removes all 2006 sources. Go to easyurpmi at the top of this page, or http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and set up for 2007 Official mirrors and make sure you use main/contrib/updates.

Now, all you need to do to upgrade is:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

and sit back while it does your 2006 upgrade over the net. Of course, you can download a boot.iso if you like and boot from this and do a network ftp install and upgrade.

Just make sure after, that you do one of these:

1. Install etc-update, and run it to merge all config files.

2. Do updatedb to update the slocate database, then slocate rpmnew files and replace them with their corresponding file. etc-update is better, since it does it automatically and seamlessly with less effort.

And if you use urpmi command I gave you, make sure your kernel is installed which should be kernel-2.6.17.5mdv. If not, don't reboot, else you'll try to boot with a 2006 kernel, and that will be bad.

You can check with:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

and if 2.6.17.5 is not installed, manually install it from the command line with urpmi.

From memory, I think if you download CD1, you'll have the functionality on this disk to do it. Of course, means downloading the full CD of 700MB. I haven't done this since 2006 though and my memory is a bit sketchy, but I'm sure I used CD1 for this.

I recommend you try one of the live CDs. Yes you have to download a whole CD, and burn it, and boot from it, but you can run it as a live version to check that everything works, and then do the install from there. Whatever is not on the CD can be added over the network using urpmi as Ian suggested.

There is a CD called "Mini" but it's still 700MB.

This CD includes the minimal set of packages for a running system, however you can include an Internet source of packages during the installation or after the installation to add extra packages.

I tried it but it borked horribly so I ended up reinstalling using One instead, which was much more successful.

the boot.iso is here at any mandriva-mirror:

Mandriva/official/2007.0/i586/install/images

There is also a file called all.img, which you can put on a usb-stick and boot from if you don't want/can burn a cd.