Mandriva 2007 is out

dexter11

Some of you who read in the forum already know but for those who didn't notice it yet, Mandriva 2007 is out. And as a pleasant surprise, it can be downloaded from now. No 4-6 weeks waiting period.

You can read the announcement here and download it from here.

Before installing, it's worth reading through the Errata and the Release Notes.

i imagine they will likely put it on the mirrors eventually, but that can take a few days for all the mirrors to grab it. with torrents they can get them out quickly, right from the get-go, and take some of the strain off the mirrors.

as far as your ISP not allowing bittorrent...that's a rarity, at least in the US...give it a try. And if it doesn't work, have a chat w/your ISP about it (I know Comcast allows it).

I guess this information posted by AdamW at DW is useful:

if we put the Free / One ISOs on FTP mirrors at this point, they would all immediately fall over. This is what used to happen before we had Bittorrent - we'd do a release and you couldn't get it for a week because the demand killed all the mirror sites.

The ISOs will go onto the mirrors once the initial wave of demand has been handled by torrents.

It was available for download from one of the European mirrors this evening. I had a fast connection to it (over 800 Kb/sec download speed on a 6 Mbps connection (Comcast)) and downloaded all four ISO's (Mandriva Linux 2007 Free) in a little over one hour.

I'm now installing it on my 166 MHz Pentium (on which Mandriva Linux 2006 Free ran well). :D

w00t! :woot: First post from Mandriva 2007! :thumbs:

Finally time to say goodbye to trusty 2005LE, although the switch wasn't quite as painless as I'd hoped. I tried to use the "mini" single-CD installer, thinking that it would do a better job than the live Mona which I'd been playing with. Unfortunately, although the install seemed to go very smoothly, I just couldn't get X to start. Even when I copied over the xorg.conf from my old 2005, and even when I copied over the working xorg.conf from Mona, it still complained about not being able to load the i810 module and spat me back out to the console login.

So I tried again with Mona and the installer there - this time the screens were graphical (rather than the text-only, keyboard-only installer on the mini) and the questions were fewer - but it works! And I'm now writing from 2007 with wobbly windows and everything! :thumbs:

Of course I'm still low on apps, but I'm correcting that right now! :D

If the system complains about some module not being loaded, then most probably the Xorg module necessary for your card did not get installed (remember: Xorg is modular now!). I had the same thing on one of my laptops. Fixing it was not very problematic. I did set up urpmi mirrors from the cli, ran XFdrake once more and - voil? - the needed driver got installed automatically and the GUI was working.

Sounds easy ;) I did a modprobe i810m to see what the error was, but it didn't give an error. So I did an lsmod and it said that i810m was loaded. So I did a startx and it still complained. I tried an XFdrake but it said no such command. And I couldn't remember how to set up the urpmi mirrors from the cli so I tried lynx to browse the web but it couldn't find any network. And that was about the time I gave up and tried the Mona tactic.