when is the 2007 version coming out?

papaschtroumpf

I'm still running SE2005, and I am about to do a hardware upgrade (nothing big, just going to larger hardrive, althoughI may try redundant raid). Should I install 2006 or should I wait for 2007? Last time I tried to upgrade from one version to the next all sort of goofy things happened, so I'm a little concerned about going to 2006 now, and upgrading to 2007 when it comes out.

I saw 2007 is in beta 3 but I don;t really keep track of what the roadmap/schedule release is...

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Should I install 2006 or should I wait for 2007?

That is a question that you have to answer yourself. 2006 is very stable now. If you want the latest and greatest (for whatever reason), then wait for 2007. It should be available anytime soon as RC2 was released and the last grave bugs are being squashed out now. The free isos will probably be available in three or four weeks. The ftp-install will be possible at an earlier date.

I'm in the same boat, I'm still on 2005 too. I've played a bit with 2006 live version, and a bit with 2007 live version, and I'm definitely going to be going for the 2007. I was much more impressed. 2006 didn't make me want to install it, but 2007 has got lots of new stuff. I'm going to wait a few weeks though and keep an eye on the 'known issues', especially those to do with installation. I'm not in a great hurry to get rid of my 2005.

Just a note, 2007 actually boots up faster on my laptop (Aspire 3000) But the new Broadcom driver did not work and I still ended up using ndiswrapper for wireless. The install has a very slick look.

With a little play, I got the new bcm43xx driver to work fine. Make sure you use bcm43xx-fwcutter to extract your firmware. Modprobing the driver will fail until a reboot.

Anyway, yes, 2007 (Mona) boots faster and seems to be more responsive on my laptop, as well.

With a little play, I got the new bcm43xx driver to work fine. Make sure you use bcm43xx-fwcutter to extract your firmware. Modprobing the driver will fail until a reboot.

Anyway, yes, 2007 (Mona) boots faster and seems to be more responsive on my laptop, as well.

Ahh.... that was the software I did not have! I should try it again. Why would the software not be on the disk? BTW, I downloaded the dvd for RC2. Mona was RC1, wasn't it?

Yes LX it was and a great waste of time that was for me.

I don't think I will even try sunna. I'll just wait for the official release.

Re Mona. I found that I could not install it to my No2 SATA disk. It said there was no suitable drives for installation. Ha Ha Ha.

I tried at least 5 times and tried different bios settings but to no avail.

Despite the fact that it was just prior, a part of a raid mirror setup which I broke so as to have a disk to install on and the No1 disk is this very one I am working from at this moment. I just dumped the DVD in the recycle bin.

Cheers. John.