Another Aiglx + Ubuntu show off

Artificial Intelligence

I was a bit skeptical of this new 3d whizzy stuff (and also doubtful that it would run on this laptop), but I've just been playing with Mona (no, not that Mona :gorgeous:) and I have to say that Aiglx thing is pretttty cool. At the very least it's a very interesting demo, a good eyecatcher, so full credit to Mandriva for including something so adventurous in 2007!

A couple of things I didn't like, you can drag a window round to another screen, but once you've let go it doesn't seem possible to go back to the screen before using the mouse (unless you drag the window back again). For example on Elive, you can just whizz the mouse from screen to screen without having to be dragging a window.

Secondly, when I try to close a window, I go with the mouse to the top-right of the screen, obviously, to hit the "X". Except that seems to be a magic hotspot and the window then jumps away from my mouse avoiding my attempts to kill it. So I carefully go back to where the window now is, in the centre, I click on it, and it jumps back to the corner again! Arg!

I don't think I found all the shortcuts either, I didn't find the transparency control or the zoom. The Ctrl-Alt-Down function is nice though.

I tried the other option of Xgl but that didn't want to play at all, couldn't get anything except a black screen. But again, well done Mandriva for not sticking with just the plain conservative stuff!

:thumbs:

Dunno. I don't use Aiglx. I was something I found.

AIGLX or XGL are the 3D x servers. XGL is a separate x server on top of the first while AIGLX is the 3D stuff built-in to the x server. What does the 3D effects is the window manager called Compiz. So the shortcuts should be the same. This is all IMHO and AFAIK unfortunately.

Here's the Mandriva take: http://corp.mandriva.com/webteam/2006/08/21/say-hello-to-3d/

I found the transparency, it works when you hold the mouse over a window, press "Alt" and then scroll the wheel (down for more transparent, up for more opaque). Problem is, my trackball doesn't have a mouse wheel...

Other shortcuts I stumbled upon:

Ctrl-Alt-left arrow - go to desktop to left

Ctrl-Alt-right arrow - go to desktop to right

Ctrl-Alt-up arrow - enter layout mode, where all apps from the current desktop are arranged on screen, keep Ctrl-Alt pressed and navigate to highlight the app you want with the arrow keys, then let go and it brings that app to the front

Ctrl-Alt-down arrow - enter desktop-scroller mode, where the four desktops are shown in a filim strip and you can go left and right (still with Ctrl and Alt pressed) to spin to the selected desktop, then let go

Ooh ooh!

Ctrl-Alt-left click and drag - drags the whole cube around. The four screens are on the four faces round the edge, and the Mandriva logo is on the top. Now that is cool! :thumbs:

Found a blog entry saying that the zoom uses the Start (aka Superkey aka Windows key) plus right click or mouse wheel, but that didn't work here.

Did I mention it's cool? :thumbs:

Another effect: if you have multiple windows on a desktop put your mouse cursor to the upper right corner. The windows will tile and you can choose from them easely.
Yeah, I accidentally found that already, and mentioned it above:
Secondly, when I try to close a window, I go with the mouse to the top-right of the screen, obviously, to hit the "X". Except that seems to be a magic hotspot and the window then jumps away from my mouse avoiding my attempts to kill it. So I carefully go back to where the window now is, in the centre, I click on it, and it jumps back to the corner again! Arg!

:D

I'll try that grep next time I'm in One, thanks!

I checked that grep and it agrees with what I'd read elsewhere, that the zoom should be controlled by the Start key plus right click or mousewheel. However it doesn't work in Mona-One on the three machines I've tried it on. I tried editing that file and restarting X but that didn't have any effect, even changing the key bindings for transparency didn't work. The file itself says at the top that it's auto-generated, so there must be another way of configuring it, which I couldn't find.