newbie - trying to install usb adsl modem

acegap

Speedtouch 330 usb adsl Modem website directs me to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=32758 where there is a "SpeedTouch driver"...

I have downloaded the driver file speedtouch-1.3.1-1.i586.rpm and placed on a floppy

When I try to install the hardware in Mandriva I get the messages:

1) speedtouch_mgmt required

2) /mnt/usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt*.o

3) Copy the Alcatel microcode as mgmt*.o in /usr/share/speedtouch

4) insert floppy with mgmt*.o in root directory @ press next

5) i have inserted floppy with speedtouch-1.3.1-1.i586.rpm and, obviously, get "not found"

I haven't a clue what to do.

Many thanks in advance

Question. Has your ADSL modem got a Lan port as well as a usb port???

Does your computer have an on board Lan port ???.

If the answer is yes to both questions then forget about connecting via usb and use LAN instead. USB for this is a complete waste of time and energy and not worth the trouble. For the details of how to to this is extremely simple and can be found in Tips and Tricks.

You should be able to get on line in just a couple of minutes and very simply.

Welcome to MUB.

Cheers. John.

I would download the source rpm and compile the driver on my machine. You will handle any depends and take into account the changes Mandriva makes to the kernel. As far as the rest of your question, looks to me like you need to create the mentioned direcory as root and then copy the data like it says. I would also look for a "readme" with thefile to see how one makes the driver function. usb is still weak in linux and requires some setup.

I did this setup on a 10.2 system awhile ago and had to make these modifications after using the steve parker script.

the mgmt.o file is in the package..

On the startup the speedtouch Service was started and failed at one stage as it was trying to do some weird stuff due to the modules.conf file on Mandriva..

This line in the modules.conf file..

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-ohci; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

I modified this speedtouch.sh script and all worked fine from then onwards..

if [ $LOAD_USBCORE -ne 0 ] || [ $LOAD_USBINTERFACE -ne 0 ] ; then

get_usb_module

sleep 1

load_kernel_module "$USBMODULE"

sleep 3

fi

to this as below..

if [ $LOAD_USBCORE -ne 0 ] || [ $LOAD_USBINTERFACE -ne 0 ] ; then

get_usb_module

sleep 1

load_kernel_module "usb-ochi"

sleep 3

sleep 1

load_kernel_module "ehci-hcd"

sleep 3

fi

When you first set this up... Disable the firewall and reconfigure as soon as you are connected..

The files required are... speedtouchconf-2.0_16_Oct-2005.tar.gz

if you cannot find this i can send it to you..

Thanks Ixthusdan, but I'm no wiser...

1) <I have downloaded the driver file speedtouch-1.3.1-1.i586.rpm and placed on a floppy>

2) "copy the data like it says?"

you mean: <Copy the Alcatel microcode as mgmt*.o in /usr/share/speedtouch> ?

well, <I haven't a clue what to do.>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks michaelcole, but newbie means newbie

I guess I was expecting a little more from Linux. Like it would be ready for general distribution.

btw. according to google speedtouchconf-2.0_16_Oct-2005.tar.gz doe does not exist on any webpage - I'm getting more confident by the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear acegap

I too have used a speedtouch 330 USB modem with Mandriva 2006 free edition. It took me a while to get the hang of the set up but it does work. The important part for me was in choosing the correct microcode file. I tried the x.sys file from Windows XP (where the modem worked within 10 mins of taking it out of the box) and also one of the other files from the net. I didn't try the file that I actually needed as Steve Parker's site gave me the impression that for a black speedtouch modem don't use the microcode for the grey speedtouch modem. This was my mistake, when I did use the file for the grey modem all was sweetness and light. The file I used is called rev4fw.zip, it needs to be copied into the speedtouch directory (do not unzip) that gets created when you unpack the tar which you will have downloaded from Steve's site. Read his instructions carefully (print them) and don't forget that the last part of the work needs to be done as root.

Also, note that Steve says to get rid of the files installed by Mandriva that profess to drive the speedtouch, very importatnt this as it prevents clashes. Use MCC to Remove Speedtouch before you start the new installation. See Steve's notes again for this. You may need to Uninstall Steve's first, (he provides a script) then the Mandriva version, reboot and start again.

I have installed the speedtouch several times now on 3 different Linux pcs, all running Mandriva 2006. The hardware on each has varied in motherboards and processors. All use AMDs, 2 Asus and 1 ECD board. I have tried it with other distros but without success.

Steve Parker responds to e-mails on the subject as well, almost by return, really helpful guy.

The hill seems too high to climb doesn't it, is it worth it? Yes Yes Yes. Since I got the internet working for my Linux box I haven't looked back. I never use my XP box now, that's for the wife as she needs Excel.

I have recently converted over to Ethernet and a Router/Modem set up. I must say that this is much better than the USB modem configuration. I have a 4 port Router/Modem by eTEC. Seems very good value at £32 and comes with firewall etc. It was suggested by my ISP supplier's agent. This type of installation is also recommended by many on the forum, I can see why. Much easier to set up and manage, plus, it should work with all distros.

Hope this helps.

Laidback (newbie)

Many thanks for your time laiback and accept apologies, please, for the few days in replying as I have been out of town for a while. I shall be taking a look shortly - I had just about given up all hope of putting this together after spending a few straight days on it but you have given me some new stuff to go at. bbl.

USB for this is a complete waste of time and energy and not worth the trouble

Well, .... I know this seems to be the standard reply to the 'USB Modem" thing, but in my experience, it is simply NOT true.

Background.

I have a Speedtouch USB modem. Not the same as the posters, but...

When I first started using Mandriver/Linux, I couldn't get my modem to work, I read and read on forums, everyone was saying how hard it was to get USB modems to work (especially the very one I had) I was told it would be far easier to get a router or do it via the use of a lan card etc etc. So, I was almost about to go out and by some new hardware $$$. Then I stumbled upon a web page with instructions on how to get it working,

http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/

well, that was easy, but not as easy as the method I now use, which is basically as follows,

Mandriva 2006 - all I have to do is copy the microcode (alcaudsl.sys, different one may be needed for different model speedtouch) to /usr/share/speedtouch(if the folder does not exist make it), rename the file to mgmt.o, then run the setup in MCC for the modem, and set it up as ADSL/DSL, connection enter the relevant info when asked, thats it

Mandriva 2007 - all I have to do is install the firmware_extractor rpm (just search speedtouch in MCC software instalation) copy the microcode (alcaudsl.sys, different one may be needed for different model speedtouch) to /usr/share/speedtouch(if the folder does not exist make it), rename the file to mgmt.o, then run the setup in MCC for the modem, and set it up as ADSL/DSL, connection enter the relevant info when asked, thats it

Hardly what I would call "a complete waste of time and energy and not worth the trouble"

I have done this on several machines, both mine and other peoples and it works flawlessly every time, and it's quick, and you just use MCC for setting up an ADSL/DSL connection as you would expect, and certainly far better than purchasing new hardware as seems to be suggested alot.

Disclaimer

I am not busting anyones balls or ranting (well maybe a little rant), this is not aimed at anyone (even though I quoted AussieJohn, nothing is ment by it) I have nothing but respect for the knowledge of all those who help people out on this board, it's just that I have found, through personal experience, at least with my model modem (which I have been told is one of the worst offenders), that this thing about USB modems seems to be an urban myth, it is neither hard nor time consuming, on the contrary, it is both easy and quick. It may have been dificult in the past, I don't know, but it certainly isn't now, at least not for me.

Edited by jagwah

Success!! The post of a few days ago by laiback got me to try again and I got it to load up first time. The problem was the use of English on the Steve Parker site:

Or download one of these:

alcaudsl.sys - known to work with the green modem

KQD6_R204.zip - do not unzip!

mgmt.o - likely to work with older modems

rev4fw.zip - should work with silver modem

Only one firmware file (unzipped) should be in the same directory as the speedtouchconf.sh script at any time.

..what he could have written, to save me a few days, would have been:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or download one of these:

alcaudsl.sys - known to work with the green modem

KQD6_R204.zip - do not unzip!

mgmt.o - likely to work with older modems

rev4fw.zip - should work with silver modem

Only one firmware file (do not unzip!) should be in the same directory as the speedtouchconf.sh script at any time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks laiback. You are the man. (I should mention that I DID, originally, unzip the rev4fw.zip file even after reading the above instructions carefully!)

Many thanks also to jagwah. I never got to try your method but it is copied and I shall have a go on the next Installation.

Edited by acegap