How to use rpm in a cooker installation?

fahd

Hi guys!

Using rpmdrake it is easy to install cooker packages. Just copy all cooker packages into cooker directory (/root/cooker), and tell rpmdrake where is the synthesis.hdlist.cz (list file), and everything would go nicely. How can I reach the same goal using the command line rpm? When I give the command:

cd /root/cooker

rpm -Fvh kdebase

Nothing happens, since rpm does not know where the dependency list(synthesis.hdlist.cz) is located(/root/cooker/media_info/).

Can anybody help me. Thanks a lot.

Dubish Fahd (Mandriva fan)

Budapest, Hungary.

Hi fahd,

you *could* use that method and first download all *.rpm packages you want, then install them using rpm one by one "rpm -i <package>.rpm" or for updates "rpm -U <package>.rpm" but you're unlikely to do this for long. Using urpmi is *much* easieser, especially due to the implemented curl/wget call and for update purpose.

If you don't like using the command line, rpmdrake is a good option, too.

I'm using rpm only when there's no other suitable way for installing. So it's handy if you want to install singular, rarely used or propietary packages, which do not show up in any of the "normal" collections. Otherwise urpmi is much more comfortable.

Cheers,

scoonma