Installed new CD-R/RW drive & wierd things are happening

bnc75ohm

Hello - I'm running Mandrake 9.0, and just after I installed a new Sony 52/24/52 IDE CD-R/RW drive some wierd things started to happen. When I check to see if a package is installed by either using the Software Management utility in the Mandrake Control Center or by going to a terminal and typing urpmq packagename, the CDROM drive starts to spin and the process hangs. If I go to eject the CD by pushing the button on the drive, the tray extends but closes right away before I have a chance to do anything. Sometimes typing the command eject from a terminal window halts the process. Usually after a few minutes I can get it to stop by pushing the eject button on the drive.

If I put a bogus data CD or a music CD in the drive first before I type urpmq packagename the process continues like it should.

I'm new at this and I'm pretty baffeled, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

bnc

--

Some others have reported urpmi behaving this way. There have been some successes in rebuilding the database that urpmi uses, but it has not always solved this particular issue. If you search the board for urpmi, you will find all the threads dealing with this, and the suggested fixes.

It is also possible that a bug in supermount is causing this, but that is just speculation on my part. Do a search on supermount, and see what you think.

Thanks Ixthusdan, scouring the newsgroups I had an idea it had something to do with supermount.

Here's what's in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,unhide 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd /cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec,unhide 0 0

Thanks once again -

bnc

--

I used to have similar problems. I solved them by copying the disks to my HD and using urpmi.addmedia, then removing the references to the CDs. This also meant that the files were instantly available whenever I needed them. However, I had 130 gigabytes of HD storage.

Yes I've been able to burn CDs with no problem. But I have a question - What exactly does Supermount do? From the reading I've done it looks like Supermount allows you to access removable devices like CDs and floppies without mounting them first and not having to unmount them after you're done. Is this correct? If so, I can see that it would save but I really don't mind having to do this.

Is there any way to uninstall supermount? Or perhaps to edit my /etc/fstab file to permanently disable it?

Thanks -

bnc

--

That's basically it. Supermount tries to emulate windows style of automatically mounting things that is being put into the drive. You see, unix style mounting doesn't do that automatically. You have to type

mount /mnt/floppy or mount /mnt/cdrom etc if you want to read the content of the floppy or cdrom, and if you want to eject the floppy or cdrom, you have to type umount /mnt/floppy or umount /mnt/cdrom beforehand. It's ok for people used to unix style mounting, but for the people moving from windows, it can be a bit of a pain.

Anyway, to disable your supermount, just type this command as root

supermount -i disable

Anyway, from what I see in your /etc/fstab, it seems that you let k3b muck around with your /etc/fstab as shown in the last line. Do you have both the new CDRW and old CDROM (or DVD or whatever) installed or you just replaced the old CDROM with the CDRW?

DragonMage Thanks! I installed k3b a while back (about the same time I replaced my dying CD-R/RW drive) but couldn't get it to work. k3b must have modified my /etc/fstab file and caused the problem. I rem'ed out the last line in my /etc/fstab file and now everything seems to be back to normal. BTW, how did you know it was k3b that added the last line to my /etc/fstab? Thanks once again.

bnc

--

I use k3b, and prefer it, but the setup is a little tricky. The reason I asked is because I have both my cdrom and cdrw scsi emulated in lilo.conf in order to use both in k3b. The fstab entries work fine if the program is setup correctly. You were calling your cdrom device two different names, cdrom and cdrecorder, which may have created some problems. If the setup is done correctly, it works.

Gotcha. I installed SuSE on another system and it came with k3b which I liked alot. I then tried to install k3b on my Mandrake system but had trouble getting it to work. At the time I ran out time to troubleshoot it, but now I'll go back and give it another try.

Thanks for your help.

bnc

--

It is also possible that a bug in supermount is causing this, but that is just speculation on my part. Do a search on supermount, and see what you think.
It is supermount since I had the same problem with stock mdk-9.0 kernel. The problem goes away if u disable supermount or upgrade to the latest mdk-9.0 kernel update (with supermount enabled).