LFS - a realistic project?

wakish

Yeah, i'm more focused on the learning experience as pointed out..

I guess this would take a long time though :wall:

As Steve says you don't need to finish it to learn loads!

Why not make a vmware session and build it in that?

You can keep your working stuff and also you can copy settings and stuff you already figured out.

I would definitely recommend installing Gentoo using the old method. I do a stage 2 install that is completely done using cli from a chroot environment. I really learned a lot that way and I found it far more interesting that installing LFS.

Being an Arch diehard, I'd also say go Gentoo. Reason: Arch CAN be used as a source distro, and have everything compiled by yourself- and more than that, building an AURBUILD for advanced users is way easier than building a Gentoo ebuild. But Arch is mainly a binary distro (building and installing painlessly from source is just an extra option), not a source one, and aurbuild is way less flexible than emerge- if you aren't interested in creating your own packages.

Gowator and Qchem, you guys made a nice suggestion!!

@Gowator:

For the vmware session, any hint or website where i could make a start?

*having a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware* ;)

@Qchem:

Which one should i go for?

Regards!

Answering Qchem's question first....

if you are using vmware and have disk space then ... its up to you.... you can do all three?

I think you should download the installation for each one and read it and decide for yourself....

All of them are basically following instructions.... its up to you how much you wanna jump in at the deep end.

Gentoo install guides are pretty much faultless.... you follow it and you can't go wrong. LFS sometimes you do a bit of extra reading but ...

@me

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

strictly speaking you don't need the server once its running but ??? its a free download.

edits:

VMWARE server also does snapshots.... this is very cool for what you want.... you can make a snapshot and bork it beyond belief and then restore it.

I would also consider a Debian netinstall (but Im a Debian junkie) ...

if you do and you want the learning experience then set the dpkg options to verbose and full prompting.

Its like writing the files yourself without actually having to write the whole thing and if you get stuck you can --reconfgure and accept defaults!

Edited by Gowator