change device names

ffi

if you just want to rename the partition names you can use the label command

e. g. fedora uses disklabels instead of the device names for its partitions

don't know the exact syntax yet, sorry

if you want to rename the devices themselves in /dev I don't know if this is possible, the numbers are not just for fun, but to distinguish the type of partition, on an ide-drive hd(x)1 to hd(x)4 are primary partitions and hd(x)5 to hd(x)n are logical partitions, e. g. /dev/hda1 is the first (primary) partition on your first ide drive, therefore I'm not sure if it is wise to mess with those device names

Edited by lavaeolus

Okay I will leave it then. I had resized my drives but in doing so sda2 got renamed sda3, and some shortcuts are not working anymore....

Normally, you should not address devices such as /dev/sda2 or /dev/sda3. The purpose of linking partitions to mount points via fstab is exactly to avoid that kind of problems. If you mount /dev/sda2 to /mnt/mypartiton2, and refer to /mnt/mypartiton2 in all shortcuts, etc., then changing to /dev/sda3 is just as easy as editiing the file /etc/fstab. I have done that when moving harddisks from one linux box to another. Usually what used to be /dev/hda7 in one box becomes /dev/hdb7 or /dev/hdc7 on another, but proper mounting takes reasonably good care of this.

From what you're suggesting, nope not possible. You can't merge a few partitions together with hda1-3. Unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.