wireless problems ipw2200 help please

praveenmarkandu

these are my system specs:

Acer TravelMate 4102WLMi:

Pentium M 1.73GHz, 533MHZ FSB, 2MB L2 cache | 512MB DDR2 (2x256MB in dual chanel) |60GB HDD, 7200rpm | DVD-RW | ATI Mobility Radeon X700 64MB (PCI-e) | 15.4" WXGA wide TFT LCD | 802.11b/g wireless | Bluetooth |

i have just got this system up and running. but the wireless connection was very fickle. i had to redo the connection a few times cause it would just connect. at first it would just ask for ipw2200 firmware 2.3

when i go to hardware it tells me

Warning

The following packages need to be installed:ipw2200-firmware, bluez-utils

YES NO

then i select ?Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG and choose run config tool ---> wireless connection--> unknown (ipw2200) ?Intel Corp | Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200B -->and it gives me:

Error

No Device Found

OK

what do i do to fix this? what firmware and drivers do i need? im not even sure what i messed up so is there any way to start from scratch?

much help appreciated. thank you :)

oh... and i successfully istalled firefox 1.5.0.4 its a big deal for a newbie like me :D

this is frustrating as it is. this is why people dont move to linux. its not out of the box. i knew i had to jump through some hoops with this OS but im at a loss here.

im supposed to follow this i think ---> http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL ( but to be honest i have no idea what this stuff is. im too new at this)

whats worse still is i cant install the latest IPW2200 driver (ipw2200-1.1.3.tgz) and Mandriva keeps asking me for the firmware v2.3. but then tells me No Device Found when i put it in /lib/hotplug/firmware

can someone help me fix this heap of problems? it seems everything is dependant on something else and im going around in circles.

TIA

Here's a nice easy way for you to try. First, make sure you added all easyurpmi sources, visit the link at the top of this page and add main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Now, save yourself downloading source files, and use urpmi to do it for you. This is the best way to install software, unless it's not available in the repositories.

So, now do this at the command line for me and give me the output:

rpm -qa | grep ipw

if it lists nothing, then try this next:

urpmi ipw2200-firmware

if you've configured all the easyurpmi sources as I mentioned, you'll get the firmware you need - in fact 2.4 firmware. Then try configuring your connection before in the GUI.

OK, try a:

rpm -ql ipw2200-firmware-2.4-1plf

and see what it lists back, it should tell you at least where the files exist. I don't use this specific device myself, as mine are atheros based. If you find too much difficulty with it, you can always use ndiswrapper instead, which works a treat.

/etc/firmware/ipw-2.2-boot.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-boot.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-bss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-bss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-ibss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-ibss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-sniffer.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.3-sniffer_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-boot.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-bss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-bss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-ibss.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-ibss_ucode.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-sniffer.fw
/etc/firmware/ipw-2.4-sniffer_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.2-boot.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-boot.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-bss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-bss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-ibss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-ibss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-sniffer.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.3-sniffer_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-boot.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-bss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-bss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-ibss.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-ibss_ucode.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-sniffer.fw
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw-2.4-sniffer_ucode.fw
/usr/share/doc/ipw2200-firmware-2.4
/usr/share/doc/ipw2200-firmware-2.4/LICENSE

i think its odd that i have so many different versions of firmware installed

Not odd, just some left over from before perhaps. It's no great threat to the functionality of your computer though.

Unfortunately, I don't use this card, so I wouldn't be able to help you with it's native driver. I could with ndiswrapper steps to get it working in Mandriva. There are some people here who do use ipw2200, so hopefully they will reply to help you.

If I was at home in Cheshire, only about an hour away :P

But I'm in Poland right now so a little further :lol:

If you get no joy with the native driver, we'll give ndiswrapper a crack. I'll give you a hand with this, and hopefully it'll work this way instead.

Guest bongo
do i need to download the ndiswrapper? cause when i select that option it wants to install it but then fails. thought it would be ont the Mandriva 2006 DVD

No, you don't need. Get 2.3 firmware form 2200.sourceforge.net and put it in /lib/hotplug/firmware/. Than restart /etc/init.d/networking or simply restart your computer.

Not sure how things work anymore in Mandy, but I know on my install of Ubuntu on here, the Intel 2200 Pro was dectected on here. I wasn't able to set it up right away so I went ahead with the install without. After my install the card was in the network config tool, but it wasn't started. I tried using my wireless on/off button and that still didn't work. After a fast search on the Ubuntu forums all I had to do was "sudo gedit /etc/modules" and add this line. "ipw2200=1" In other words turning it on at the start of the modules being loaded. Could mandy be setup something like this???

If you have added the easyurpmi repositories, you just do:

urpmi ndiswrapper

and it will download and install. Then follow the ndiswrapper wiki, google this, and you'll be away. There is one other thing to do other than the guide mentions, and that is to add this to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.preload:

ndiswrapper

and you'll be away. Just make sure you have the correct driver for your card.

If you have added the easyurpmi repositories, you just do:

urpmi ndiswrapper

and it will download and install. Then follow the ndiswrapper wiki, google this, and you'll be away. There is one other thing to do other than the guide mentions, and that is to add this to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.preload:

ndiswrapper

and you'll be away. Just make sure you have the correct driver for your card.

So I installed the ndiswrapper and I tried to use it, but when I tried to find the driver it didn't recognise it in the browse window, and I think it was looking for a different file type, than the .exe

Am I missing something obvious?