Need to upgrade from 10.0 - suggested versions?

rogerh

Apparently it is now more painful to stay on 10.0 that to upgrade. Downloading an entire new version is not feasible, so whatever I get has to be on CD or DVD.

Is 2006 currently stable and is it the way to go? If so, is there an available release beyond 2006.0, the initial release version? I'm fine with poking around on the web looking for a source, unless someone has a recommended one.

Thanks for your opinions in advance -- Roger

I would recommend 2006, I've found it to be the best yet. Although once installed, make sure you remove kat, because it slows the machine down really bad. Also, remove lisa too, you won't need this either.

I would recommend a clean install, than upgrade, although an upgrade should work fine mostly, just you get some niggles here and there. I tend to just clean install. You can leave your home directory though, and this shouldn't be formatted during install.

2007 should be due the end of the year, November time or something like that.

Sounds like the FTP install is what I am looking for. Any information sources for an 'accident waiting to happen' like me on how FTP ( file transfer protocol - that's the extent of my knowledge) works, and what URL can tap into to get this done. Yep, it is frightening how little I know and am still willing to try and use Linux...... just waiting for my system to blow up!!

Thanks -- Roger

You will need the minimal boot.iso Mandriva image, which is less than 15 MB and you can get say from here

During install it will ask you a few simple things and pick the main mirrors for you.

If you are on dialup, then patience is needed.

Edited by scarecrow

You will need the minimal boot.iso Mandriva image, which is less than 15 MB and you can get say from here

During install it will ask you a few simple things and pick the main mirrors for you.

If you are on dialup, then patience is needed.

This looks very handy, can these be made to run from an usb stick?