RPMdrake so sloooooooow [solved]

laiback

Does anyone else find that RPMdrake is really slow?. When I open it from the menu system it says....Reading packages database..then when the actual package opens you get the same message again at the bottom of the pane. Should you install or remove anything it happens all over again before control is passed back to you. On each occassion it seems to take an inordinate amount of time, how frequently does the database need to be read, surely once per visit is enough.

I agree that I'm using an old style pc, AMD K6 400mhz, 512K ram, but really it's not that bad.

I've been wondering whether I have RPMdrake configured correctly, but cannot find any switches.

Any views?

For my computers (all <1GHz), Smart is way slower when "updating cache" than rpmdrake.

Yves.

(and aptitude on Debian on my P150MMX laptop is a dream compared to any of those two with P2+ CPU...)

Edited by theYinYeti

For my Smart --gui is way waster, than rpmdrake, not when you compare urpmi and smart install because uprmi is faster. But I wish we had Synaptic on Mandriva, it´s great, easy to use and very fast and when I look at the copyright it´s even made by Conectiva... One other thing about smart --gui, it only does all the dependency checking once, not with every new package you click, this saves a lot of time...

Edited by ffi

On one PC this evening, / went to 100% so I tried and found a place where I could delete some files: /var/lib/...

With the exact same media declared, rpmdrake database is about 150KB, whereas smart database is something like 550MB! I deleted smart... I really like the tool (else I would have deleted it much sooner, due to the slowness on my PC) but this time I needed space, and it seems that smart is taking a lot.

Yves.

On one PC this evening, / went to 100% so I tried and found a place where I could delete some files: /var/lib/...

With the exact same media declared, rpmdrake database is about 150KB, whereas smart database is something like 550MB! I deleted smart... I really like the tool (else I would have deleted it much sooner, due to the slowness on my PC) but this time I needed space, and it seems that smart is taking a lot.

Yves.

Couldnt this be because you used the synthesis list for urpmi and the regular list for smart?

Getting somewhat confused, but I do now know it's not just me, so that's a step in the right direction.

I've been trying to stick with one distro recently mainly because Mandriva allows me to print (Samsung ML-1610 Laser) and surf the net with my Thompson Speedtouch 330 USB modem. I tried with other distros and either all or 1 of these items didn't function. With Mandriva 2006 I got them both to work. So I'll plug away with Mdrv and follow some of the suggestions above to see if things can be improved.

Trouble with urpmi seems to be that you need to know what you are installing, so I need to go to rpmdrake to have a look anyway.

I have Mandriva 2006 on a 2 Gig Celeron with 512 Meg Ram.

When I boot the control panel it sits there with the spinning glass in the kicker bar for about 30 seconds even though the dialog box has long since been displayed. I can still click on the items in the dialog, but the busy cursor just keeps spinning.

Then, when I finally click on the Install Software button, rpmDrake goes away for 30 to 60 seconds or more reading the databases. This seems inordinately slow to me too. I also have downloaded the synthesis list.

It does seem slow, but I don't install stuff very often, so I am just living with it for now.

Functionally it seems to work just fine. I have recently installed OOo2 and wine with no issues.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I'm a bit like Banjo. Urpmi works and I wouldn't know if it was fast or slow because I couldn't care less. It is not like I am sitting down every few minutes to update and downloading rpms all the time.

I can understand speed being an issue with say Firefox when you are using it all the time but not when it comes to checking on updates etc in urpmi. Does your urpmi or Smart work OK ???. If it does then let it do its thing since I am sure you have more important things to get on with in the meantime. :D

Cheers. John.

There could be a really easy explanation for this. When you choose your sources in easy-urpmi, there is an option for "compressed index". If you don't choose this, the index for main and contrib is 25mb each. That's 50mb, plus what you have for updates about 5mb and plf about 3-5mb.

I'd suggest removing your main and contrib sources, re-adding them, and choosing the compressed index. You'll lose a lot of the detailed information, but do you really need to know the change log, and various other bits of information. The description is enough to know what the package is. The index for non-compressed is hdlist.cz, whereas the compressed is synthesis.hdlist.cz

You might find this works better, I always use compressed index because I have a slow DSL connection, and it would take about 30 minutes to get main and contrib indexing otherwise.

I used to use rpmdrake a lot, but I find it quicker and easier to just use the command line now using urpmi to install, urpme to remove, urpmf to find packages. Eg: want to find a package with dvd in the name:

urpmf --name dvd

or dvd in the description (takes longer)

urpmf --description dvd