RPMdrake so sloooooooow [solved]

laiback

I'm a bit like Banjo. Urpmi works and I wouldn't know if it was fast or slow because I couldn't care less. It is not like I am sitting down every few minutes to update and downloading rpms all the time.

I can understand speed being an issue with say Firefox when you are using it all the time but not when it comes to checking on updates etc in urpmi. Does your urpmi or Smart work OK ???. If it does then let it do its thing since I am sure you have more important things to get on with in the meantime. :D

Cheers. John.

I changed to cooker, which is kinda cutting edge atm (read: broken a lot) and therefor need to update often :P

Many thanks for all these interesting comments.

As a new user I have been going to RPMdrake quite often as I've been trying out updates, new software and just getting used to things. hence the frustration. I do agree that one shoudn't have to go there very often and under such circumstances the time issue is not so critical.

Will also reattach to the mirrors to make sure that I have the shorter version of the files.

I imagine that once I know what is what I can also disable say Updates in RPMdrake as this no doubt speeds things up as well.

The really nice thing for me is to learn that I haven't been doing something stupid, that others have the same experience and hence I gain confidence.

I've also leant something about urpmi, thankyou for that

Many thanks to one and all.