qemu and windows xp is impossible?

i used the command qemu -snapshot -boot c -hda /dev/hda

for booting my preinstalled winxp on linux..it freezes just before the windows starting logo...is impossible to use xp so?

if i want to compile the latest version..i need the sdl libs...but which exactly?? it seems i have already all.... :wall:

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

Edited by AleXxiO

If it's a restore CD, then chances are no it won't work with vmware. You would need a proper XP install CD. I've used it with vmware, was just a case of creating the machine, putting the CD in and turning the vmware machine on and it booted from the CD and installed no problem.

I'm not sure if you're attempting the same way, you didn't mention what you tried.

Guest Brad
If it's a restore CD, then chances are no it won't work with vmware. You would need a proper XP install CD. I've used it with vmware, was just a case of creating the machine, putting the CD in and turning the vmware machine on and it booted from the CD and installed no problem.

I'm not sure if you're attempting the same way, you didn't mention what you tried.

Going by the content of the replies, I have been somewhat ambiguous when asking my question. So allow me to clarify. The software disk that came with the magazine was supposed to be loaded on a computer already using Microsoft Windows. You are supposed to put the disk in the CD drive and reboot the computer. The Linux Mandriva then loads automatically. You can then use it and remove the disk when you are through experimenting and shut down the computer. The computer will then boot up in Microsoft Windows the next time it is booted up.

It never made any mention of using my restore disk. (I think my children have it somewhere) and I don't know what vmware means. I hope you all can all be patient with me as I am totally unfamiliar with the jargon and code terms.

This is not what has happened in my case. I got the messages I reported in my first email. Anybody got any other words of wisdom that will help me with my LINUX JOURNEY?

Brad

qemu, and vmware and others are virtual machine software. What these allow you to do, for example is boot Windows, or Linux if you prefer, and have this as the sole operating system on your computer.

Then you open a program called vmware (or qemu) and it allows you to create a machine within a machine if you like. Then you can run multiple systems without having to dual boot, triple boot into other OS's.

This is slightly different to what you posted. I think you have a Mandriva Live CD from the cover disk from a magazine. This allowed you to boot and use Linux without installing it, and then when finished, to reboot and back into Windows without actually changing anything on your machine.

Virtual machines run within the operating system that is on your machine, allowing you to have two or more machines running at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he is trying to do two things at once here, namely using a live cd and at the same time run windows in vmware. I may be wrong but I don't think a Linux LiveCD was intended for that purpose or that it would even work.

Cheers. John.

I agree with John, most of the LiveCD get's loaded into memory as far as I know, so would make it very difficult to even attempt loading virtual software as well.

Definitely need a full installation. Out of interest, virtual software seems to run better on Linux. Or at least for me, faster. Worth testing at least, see what you think.

yeah, you definitely need a full install disc for creating a VM w/ a virtualization program. in my experience, virtualization solution run very fast on linux, compared to a windows environment at least. but you could probably say that about most things when comparing linux and windows anyway.

Mostly due to filesystems I think from what I've noticed. They are much faster in Linux.

I also benchmarked transferring FTP at home. I would get around 7000kbps or something when transferring between Windows/Windows or Linux/Windows. But if I did Linux/Linux, I would get around 11000kbps. Nice :P

Don't use Windows now, unless I really have to, and I only have it on one machine with dual boot. Linux all the way :D

Yeah I agree, Linux gives you much more freedom and speed. I used to dual boot windows, but now I just use parallels and have found it to be just about as fast as dual-booting...probably runs at about 95% of native speed. Don't have to use it much, but this is the easiest way to transfer files between the two systems.

so what about using matlab or similar on windows virtualized?? are they fast or do you suggest to install on a normal windows?

For Matlab, there would be no point to virtualization ... they have versions for both linux and window$. I found that the linux version ran faster, at least or what I was using it for.

For Matlab, there would be no point to virtualization ... they have versions for both linux and window$. I found that the linux version ran faster, at least or what I was using it for.

Haven't tried either, but what would the advantage be over dual booting or parallels?

The advantage of parallels or vmware, etc is that you can boot Linux. And then whilst logged into Linux, boot your virtual machine and use Windows within Linux. That means, you don't have to reboot to get into Windows, do what you need, and then reboot to get back to Linux later - you can carry on using Linux and Windows at the same time. The other advantage is that once you've finished, you can delete the virtual machine, without affecting your actual machine by dual-booting and decreasing the amount of space available to the host operating system. The disadvantage though is the virtual machine would be slower than a true machine.

The advantage of dual-boot however, is that it's faster than running a virtual machine, but you have the disadvantage of having to reboot all the time to go from one OS to another.