Defragmenting linux partition, etc.. [solved]

wakish

Hi!

Can anyone tell me:

1) Does mandriva 2006 provide a software to defragment your linux partiton and other common partition?

2) If no, how can i defragment my linux partiton, or is it not necessary to format a linux partition?

Thanks for your help!

Regards!

As linux uses journalized filesystems by default (except ext2. ext3 is the journalized version), it is generally not necessary to defrag partitions in linux.

there are some defragmentation tools out there, but even the people who write them warn that they could cause more harm than good, and aren't really necessary. you are unlikely to notice any performance increase, or really any difference at all, if you were to use them.

I suggest reading the defragmentation article on wikipedia. Specifically:

Many file systems on Unix-like platforms do not require defragmentation at all. These systems attempt to keep fragmentation below a certain point so defragmenting is not necessary.

There is some information on tools at the bottom of the page.

Fragmentation is a artifact of the FAT system, its artificially created.

read in a Dr. Ziodberg accent

To make a silly analogy its like saying "does medicine have a cure for fin-rot in humans?" To which the answer is humans don't have fins!

Now say fin-rot is caused by a bacteria/algae etc. then of course humans might develop something related to fin rot ...if exposed.

The point is this algae can infect humans but it doesn't harm them at all but perhaps there is a better reason not to swim in those waters.

Linux filesystems can have a degree of fragmentation but it doesn't really affect performance. On the other hand linux filesystems are VERY tunable according to the type and size of files, reserved root space and 101 other parameters.

If you want a healthy linux filesystem then checking for things that can go wrong (like lost inodes) is much more important and if you want performance then tuning the filesystem for a specific use will get you better results than defrag which is in most cases of dubious value to a linux filesystem outside the normal fsck checks on boot.

With most hard discs having multiple read/write heads you can probably benefit from having some fragmentation.

With most modern unix filesystems I tend to think that it's better you let the OS sort your data out rather then you align some blocks so the colours match :D This is probably true for NTFS too.

Once upon a time, O&O soft had a commercial defrag program for ext3 filesystem.

Now it does not exist anymore, for the simple reason that ext3, or any journaling filesystem does NOT need defragging.

SAME applies for NTFS, but to my poor knowledge thousands of Windows users defrag it daily by using Diskeeper, O&O, Raxco... what they gain is torturing their HD and bringing it closer to death.

A defragger is needed ony for ancient filesystems (FAT, FAT32). If you don't use them, then the only reason to use a defragger is limiting you harddisk's lifetime.

Edited by scarecrow

Very nice help!!! Thank you so much EVERYBODY!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

By the way, scarecrow though NTFS is less susceptible to fragmentations..it does require a defragmentation at least once in a while ;) Because whenever there is storage of data in clusters, there will be fragmentations in the long run ;)

But yeah i agree that defragmenting every day is a waste of time and stupid :P

Regards!

True, NTFS may need a full defrag (including MFT) after a while... but under normal usage, it shouldn't be more frequent than once every 18 months or so.

What needs frequent defragging are special cases like very large SQL databases, where thousands of very small files get updated/changed almost daily.

True, NTFS may need a full defrag (including MFT) after a while... but under normal usage, it shouldn't be more frequent than once every 18 months or so.

What needs frequent defragging are special cases like very large SQL databases, where thousands of very small files get updated/changed almost daily.

Or people who use bittorrent frequently, my friend had to defrag on a fortnightly basis on his winxp box.

Or people who use bittorrent frequently, my friend had to defrag on a fortnightly basis on his winxp box.

Not really... I have a BT client running 24/7, but it's set preallocating the space needed for all the added torrents. If set like that, no defrag is needed (and most good clients for Win and Lin have this option handy).