Clock is constantly the wrong time...

SpiralSlash

Alright, I set up NTP when I installed the OS (2006 i586) but I'm not sure it's actually ever synced the time correctly automatically. NTP is set up properly (right time zone, working server...) but it will never display the right time unless I make it manually sync.

Here's where it gets weird. I've turned off the NTP service, and turned it off on the "Adjust Date/Time" page. It'll still change itself to random times on reboot. Like, and hour and 20 minutes off. Or 2 hours and 10 minutes. Or maybe just 50 minutes. It changes every time! The x86_64 version of 2006 didn't do this to me with NTP enabled, and neither does WinXP. Something's up here, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Are you going thru a router? Is the router time keeping function disabled?

How old is the motherboard?

The motherboard's a MSI RS482M-IL, so it's not really old. It was bought about 6 months ago. I am going through a router, but as far as I can tell there's nothing interfering with time keeping functions. I had Mandriva 2006 x86_64 on this exact machine not 4 days ago and it didn't have any problems like this at all. Edited by SpiralSlash

Hi there!

If your time is changed on a reboot only then I would suspect the mainboard battery. Although you do say the board is not that old it doesn't mean the battery is not that old. As tyme says check the time in bios and if that is wrong then I would say change the battery. If the time changes whilst the 'puter is on then it must be another problem.

Hi there!

If your time is changed on a reboot only then I would suspect the mainboard battery. Although you do say the board is not that old it doesn't mean the battery is not that old. As tyme says check the time in bios and if that is wrong then I would say change the battery. If the time changes whilst the 'puter is on then it must be another problem.

Unfortunately, it changes while the PC is on. I've timed it to a clock that syncs with the atomic clock, and it goes almost twice as fast as normal time...

Have you tried it with no OS, just boot intot he BIOS screen, leave it a while and test? Then reboot and see if the time has changed?
I did this, and it kept time perfectly. It went the speed it should go, and nothing changed on reboot.

I also booted into my WinXP partition, and it keeps time like it should as well.

How is the time set in XP?

The fact you say it is random is what worries me, if the clock gained or lost an hour each time this is simple to solve but you say its random. However I don't see that its truly random unless you are getting times years in the past or future, it must be random from some starting point?

You seem to imply all times are in the future, and the examples you quote are all less than one day...

This is mysterious since a hardware problem would reset the clock to a pre-defined time in the past ...

However software wise as tyme pointed out if its a UTC daylight saving thing it shouldn't be random...

At the worst case it would be 30 minute intervals since some 1/2 timezones exist which leaves us with either someone breaking into your PC or the NTP server you are using ?

I'd say I experienced similar problem with time keeping, except that all other bits of the OP's problem are different. Still, since there is no obvious solution offered, I put my 2 cents in it.

I have a 64-bit system, dual core, ABIT mobo, ntp enabled. The clock in Linux ticked way ahead of real time. Because NTP synchronises a few times a day, it looked like "random time" indeed, because every moment it was so-many seconds after the last synchronisation.

I solved that problem by updating the kernel. In my case I had to compile it myself (I also needed some other functionality not available in Mandriva's shipped version), but perhaps you could get away with the latest mandriva's kernel RPM , it should be 2.6.12-18, if I remember correctly. It won't harm to install the latest kernel anyway, if you have not done it yet.