X won't start after applying updates

ffi

I'm getting the following error from x after updating my system today

Fatal server error:

could not open default font 'fixed'

I believe this is the relevant section from xorg.conf, which should be the correct font path

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

EndSection

Some other wierd thing, during start up there's an error message saying it has 0 bytes free space available on the drive. Now when I look at it from ubuntu it also says 0 bytes available but the total number of space used by all files <<< than the disk size. (ie. contents 5 GB, Volume 9.8 GB; free space 0 bytes\)

Edited by ffi

I downloaded KDE for Ubuntu and Konqueror gives me different numbers than Nautilus, it does show the partition is full, there's a huge /.Trash-root/ directory but I don't know how to empty it.

You can just remove all the files in it as root

Presuming the directory is in root you can

rm -rf /root/.Trash-root/*

On another note a missing fon't shouldn't be fatal to the server so it seems unlikley that is the problem and more likely diskspace not allowing the logfiles etc. to be written.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the actual size of your partitions ?? I supect that your home partition is too small as is also your root partition. as a result whenever you do any downloading etc, you fill the partitions. Temp is easily filled with lots of material and if you handle a lot of graphics then the .thumbnail folder will also have a huge amount in there. I once had 750Mbs in .thumbnails. To clean it out just open konqueror and set it to show hidden files and look for .thumbnails and delete them. They are regenerated as needed. I now routinely empty it .

You would also be well advised to install Filelight which can give you a graphical indication of every directory and folder and file size.

You will be amazed at what large sizes occupy your harddrive.

Cheers. John.

I am beginning to think this has something to do with the update to xorg 7.0, which is very problematic for many people.

I have X back again, sort of but only as root, so I guess this is a cooker issue and I will have to wait for now unless anyone has any ideas.

Man, I am so glad I saw this before I did urpmi --auto-select next:

< omar ~ > urpmq --sources xorg-x11-server
ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/cooker/i586//media/main/
xorg-x11-server-7.0.0-3mdk.noarch.rpm
< omar ~ > Xorg -version

X Window System Version 6.9.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005