Copying LP's to CD

satelliteuser083

I'd suggest Audacity with a set of free audio restoration VST plugins (they are few of them out there, and they are doing an acceptable job).

And if you are dead serious about that job (and having a top class stereo soundcard and an expensive RIAA preamp) you can try pro-level commercial VST restoration plugins in Audacity (almost all of them work, while for vinyl transcriptions the limitation of Audacity to just two channels isn't an issue). Commercial restoration VST plugins start from a few pennies, and go up to $ 1,200 (Waves Restoration Bundle).

Edited by scarecrow

I use a program called gramofile... easy to compile, and I usually encode about three lps a day or so. Very quick, and basic. Audacity is a bit slow on huge files, I find. The pop/click filter in gramofile isn't terrific... but, I find that it doesnt remove any music, which many filters do.

--Kris

Or go on rpmfind and do a search for krecord. Not that piece of crap krec that is in 2006 and has been for a while. The good old krecord can befound. I downloaded the latest SUSE 10 rpm and it installed perfectly. And runs as good as it ever did. Smooth simple and functional. Has good volume input level indicator also. So you can monitor the sound on the fly. Audacity is good if you need to edit the sound file but to record krecord is better, faster, easier.

:offtopic:

It's not normally recommended to install rpm's from other distros. You might experience problems from it. But if krec is pants like cage47 says, then you can try it, but don't blame us if it doesn't work :D

Thanks, kris, for the tip with gramofile, which I have just installed. Unfortunately, all is not well with gramofile on my setup. :unsure: There is no menu-point anywhere for the app and, when I created a link to it on the desktop, it fails to load. I've had similar problems before but, sadly, can't remember how (or, even, IF) I overcame them. Would be grateful for further assistance.

Thanks, kris, for the tip with gramofile, which I have just installed. Unfortunately, all is not well with gramofile on my setup. :unsure: There is no menu-point anywhere for the app and, when I created a link to it on the desktop, it fails to load. I've had similar problems before but, sadly, can't remember how (or, even, IF) I overcame them. Would be grateful for further assistance.

It's a standalone app that you build... there wouldn't be a menu point until you create one. You have to take the three programs that are created, bplay, brec, and gramofile, and first; make them executable and available to anybody you want, and second; copy them to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin... otherwise they won't execute unless you run them as ./ which works for gramofile, but not when it calls upon the bplay and brec programs. This information is in the README, in one single line hidden...

Good luck. I have tried krecord, and I still prefer gramofile, even though it is a shell program.

--Kris