Wireless driver for rt2500

Arne

Hello Murda,

I have tried to install Belkin pci card with rt2500 chip (actually rt2560 chip in my case).

I think the main reason for failing was 2 drivers present at the same time, ndiswrapper and the driver supplied in 2006 which I was not aware off at the time.

Anyway I tried without ndiswrapper one time and the card was recognized but the light on the card never turned on.

Therefore can you please tell me what commands you issued to get the light on = make the card work.

Maybe something like

modprobe rt2500 or

iwconfig ra0 up or .........

I would be very grateful if you tell me.

As of now I have gone back to win98SE to get wireless connection but I miss 2006.

Edited by Arne

afaik the rt2560 uses the rt2570 driver, but I may be wrong here.

Here is a BIG FAT WARNING for everyone who uses these drivers, rt2500, rt2400 and rt2570.

If you use a SMP kernel, (if you have hyperthreading, multiple cpus, or a dual core cpu) -- you can check if you are by running "uname -a" in a console, these drivers will result in a guaranteed lock up when you bring up your network interface as they do not work with the smp kernel. The solution is to install the plain kernel without smp support and use your wireless from within that, or use the smp with ndiswrapper.

James

Hello iphitus,

Sorry fro late answer. Thanks for your reply.

afaik the rt2560 uses the rt2570 driver, but I may be wrong here.

You maybe right but according to my info rt2570 is the usb driver. The win-driver following my card Bus is rt2500 driver.

When I issue the 'uname -a' get:

[root@TOT arne]# uname -a

Linux TOT.co.th 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.70GHz unknown GNU/Linux

So, is this a plain or SMP kernel??????????

That third beta release is not rt2500. It is rt2x00, which is the new driver, written entirely from scratch to replace that whole rt2xx0 series of wireless devices.

rt2x00 is currently in a barely usable state, it uses large amounts of CPU, has very slow performance, and tends to drop packets. That's if you were lucky enough to get it running. It is in early stages of development, so this is to be expected. It should become a very good driver eventually.

Edited by iphitus

I didn't have to do anything, just configured a static ip, the gateway address and set DNS servers.

It works perfectly now.

Only problem is that the network hangs sometimes when I use terminal (for SSH connection) and Firefox at the same time. I mean, it just stops sending and receiving packets. It isn't a big problem though, because it happens so rarely, and when it happens, I just use:

service network restart

And everything is up and running again.

It may have something to do with my temperature problems (laptop gets so hot that it almost burns my hand when I touch the bottom of the computer), but that's an another story. :D

Hello iphitus,

You are right. I downloaded the rt2500-1.1.0-b3.tar.gz and the release date is 31-jul-2005. So, do you think this is the driver included in 2006.0??????

Hello Murda,

The configuration you did, you did it in 'ifcfg-ra0' ...or

Thank's both of you.

Thank' for reply

Thinking about the hell I have been trough with 3 cards and 2 access points and no luck and I didn't know that it was a driver for this card native in 2006.0 and nobody replying to my posts did know either. Why don't mandriva make such information more easily available for users?

Don't know if this helps, but I have a card using Rt2500 chip. With 2.6.12 kernel it caused no end of problems, but for completely other reasons I got the 2.6.14 kernel from cooker, and it's sorted it right out. I used mandriva 2006 supplied driver both times. Maybe someone else can say whether it's advisible to use try cooker kernel though.

Previously I would get card not working, lock-ups after about 2 hours, and drakroam always said the signal was crap - all of these are now fixed, no more ndiswrapper for me.