DVD-cdrom [solved]

AussieJohn

I hope someone can help here. I have finally sorted out the reason I could not play KSCD or use GRIP in Mandriva 2006.

I have a Pioneer DVD-rom at /dev/hdb and an LG Dual layer DVD Burner at /dev/hdd.

I can play KSCD music and read a cd in Grip when both are setup for /dev/hdd but under no circumstances could I get them to work when I set them up for /dev/hdb. Now in /etc/fstab the lines for the two cd devices are nearly identical, namely that the permissions etc., should be the same.

I also have ALL latest updates for udev and what ever else but this made no change to the situation.

What I discovered when I looked at /dev/hdb and /dev/hdd was that the permissions seemed identical except for the Ownership------> User and Group. In hdd the User was shown as john but in hdb the User is shown as root. So I did a kdesu konqueror to get into root mode and changed the user in /dev/hdb from root to john . Backed out and found that now when KSCD and GRIP are setup for /dev/hdb that everything works nicely with both of them.

Nicely that is until you reboot then the trouble starts all over again because /dev/hdb has reset User again to root.

Is there somewhere else that I can edit to make the User change to john permanent.

This stinker of a problem seems to be a Mandriva fault because the same problem exists in a friends computer that I did a clean install into recently of 2006-Official from their original 2005-LE and I have done 3 clean installs of 2006Official and have never been able to play cds in KSCD or rip with Grip. I had always assumed that the second dvd device would be the same so never dug deep to try to solve the problem until now.

Please keep in mind that until now solving this part of the problem, I do not mess about with permissions so it cannot be something I have caused unintentionally or otherwise.

I hope someone can help me here. Please don't make your suggestions too cryptic and thanks in advance.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Can you post the two respective lines from your /etc/fstab, so I can take a look and compare against mine.

I'll add mine here in a second, I'm just booted in the wrong OS right now.

This is my entry in my /etc/fstab, if you want to compare and see if it works.

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

My machine is playing CD's with KSCD no problems with this entry in my fstab file.

Thanks Ian. My fstab is exactly the same, and the same for both optical devices both of which are also slave. I can see by youe hdc that your device is a Master. Do you have two optical drives or only the one ???

Yet everything works AOK in 2005-LE without any fiddling.

Weird and frustrating.

John.

I'm not sure, this was taken from my laptop, so presume both are master for hdd and dvd drive. This is from my desktop machine, which has hard disks on hda and hdb, and dvd-rom and dvd-rw on hdc and hdd (purely because my ide cables aren't long enough to put the optical drives as slave to each hard disk drive).

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

which too are the same. I'm not sure where else I can check my permissions to see if they are the same as yours or not. You mentioned in your first post "Ownership User and Group", but I'm not sure where to find this to check.

Hi again Ian.

Use kdesu konqueror to get to root mode without having to log out of account then into root. Go to /dev and look for hdc and hdd in your case and right click on them to in turn to look at Properties and then Permissions in Properties. There you will see what I mean.

John.

I had a look, with no disks in the system, and it shows these both attributed to "ian". I guess perhaps this is why I seem to be OK.

I also noticed that on my system, they are part of group membership for "cdrom". Is this the same for you? Maybe you can make your user "john" a member of the cdrom group ,and see if that gets around the permissioning problem of the drive belonging to root.

here are some snapshots of things. As you can see in snapshot No.5 that hdb is locked and hdd is not. You can also see the permissions for HDB and HDD are quite different. The other snapshot No.2 is the same in both so I have only included it once.

What apalls me is that it should not be necessary to make workarounds. One did not have to do it in 2005-LE and I cannot see a good reason for the change in 2006-Official.

John

This is strange indeed. Have you tried adding your group ("john") to the fstab entry and rebooting? I'd be interested if this will get reverted, too. If yes, a locked fstab would be possible but it would be far from an ideal solution... :juggle:

At the end of fstab, you have the usergroups for the devices and partitions. For the CD/DVD, these are usually

umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

If you have a user/usergroup, called "john", try w.g this setting

umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users, john 0 0

I will test it on one of my machines where I can safely play around. Wait until I have tested it. I don't want you to be locked out of your system due to a bad fstab-entry. :D

EDIT: Okay, no problems arose... so try adding your group "john" to the entry. Maybe that finally fixes the problem.

Btw: Why do you have two swap partitions? :huh:

You should set device ownership by an udev rule, and not by changing the device permissions, because (as you have found out already ) they are good for as long as you don't reboot- if you do so then the devices are recreated with the permissions udev thinks are "right".

If you look at /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules

(that is for my Arch Linux, I think it's the same place on Mandriva)

you will spot a rule like

# permissions for IDE CD devices

BUS=="ide", KERNEL=="hd[a-z]", SYSFS{removable}=="1", SYSFS{media}="cdrom*", NAME="%k", GROUP="optical"

(again, it's from Arch- on your system the groupname may differ).

Simply set the devices there to a group of your choice (preferrably not your default usergroup, for security reasons... you can even create a new group yourself) then add "john" to that new group by userdrake, and reboot the machine. It should be sorted after that- or not?

Hello Arctic.

I just tried that and rebooted but unfortunately it made no difference.

I run Windows2000 + Mandriva2005-LE on the primary hard drive and Mandriva2006-Official occupying the entire secondary hard drive. I gave each Mandy its own swap in case I have to pull out one hard drive or the other and so I still have a fully operable Mandy. My first Mandy2005 is grub on floppy whereas my 2006 is grub on Mbr. Just convenience. Mandy sees the swaps and mounts them on its own so I don't bother to change it.

Hello Scarecrow. There is no /udev.rules in /rules.d. I have looked at the various files in rules.d but none seem to mention the optical drives in a manner that I can understand especially /dev/hdb.

I still fail to understand why the first optical drive has been made root by default by Mandriva.

I am thinking of trying changing my drives so hda and hdb are Hard drives and hdc and hdd are the Optical drives. In other words hdb and hdc will be swapped. Just to see if hdb the contrary one acts differently when it is a Master instead of Slave as at present.

Well I did change the drives around so that the DVD-rom drive was now on Secondry Master namely hdc and the forme secondry master is now primary slave on hdb. What an exercise that was and I am quite pleased with myself in that I solved all the problems myself. :D :D

It was all to no avail, still can't play a music cdrom on kscd or rip one in Grip. Can still do both things on the DVD burner on hdd. I am also going to swap about the two optical drives and see if things change.

Will keep you posted but still hoping for more suggestions to solving what seems to be a Mandriva screwup.

Cheers. John.