DVD-cdrom [solved]

AussieJohn

Hi John, did you try adding yourself to the cdrom group to see if that helped at all? The easiest way is System/Configuration/Other/User Administration.

Then when in here, click your user and then edit. Go to groups tab, and then tick cdrom and OK it all. Does it allow you to play then?

I changed the two optical drives about and sure enough the what is now the first optical drive again shows the problem.

I should point out that all data cdroms can be read AOK just as normal but when it comes to cd music and DVD movies they cannot be played except in root. With my Pioneer DVD/cdrom now in the /dev/hdd position I can now Grip audio and play DVD movies in Totem. Playing cd music through KSCD is now also possible but needs a bit of a fiddle to start each time, but when it starts running properly, it plays very well.

It does not seem to matter what type of optical drive is in the earliest part of the drive chain it is the one shackled with root only permissions.

Apart from Fireffox, XMMX and K3Blatest from cooker, absolutely everything else is purely 2006-official.

Sorry Arctic, I wouldn't know how to send a bug report or to whom.

I would have thought Mandriva would have been deluged with complaints by now because the problem has existed since the beginning of Mandriva2006.

Cheers. John.

Hello Ian. I tried your recommendation and it worked. Thank you for that. :thumbs: Thank you to everyone else who contributed to the thread. :thanks: Hdc as shown in the Devices desktop icon folder now shows the drive icon with a musical note thus recognising a music cd.

Can now play KSCD in both drives. Can also setup GRIPtorip as well. Now I will put everything back to what it was originally, the way I prefer it andsee if it all still holds true. :D

Cheers. John.