Floppy disk

satelliteuser083

When I read or write from/to the floppy drive on my Tosh Sat-Pro 4600 under LE2005 it takes AGES for anything to happen. I suspect that this is a software problen because, under Suse 10.0, access is like lightning. Can anyone say if this is a known problem on LE2005 and, if so, what do I have to do to correct it? Thanks.

BTW, suddenly I cannot access the list of my topics; previously I simply clicked on Logged in as: satelliteuser083 and there it was. Has the system been changed, or do I have to modify my browser-settings (or something???). Help urgently needed. Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I normally use My Controls at the top and then left hand side View Topics. The board was upgraded, but I have all my topics still that I'm subscribed too. They should be still there.

Is your floppy disk drive built-in to your machine, or is it a USB one?

The floppy is built-in. I've just tried My Controls / View Topics as you suggested, but there is no list, just a blank frame (well, not completely blank, but, nevertheless, no list). VERY strange. :unsure:

Afterthought: the 'blank' frame contains the message 'There are no subscriptions to show, try selecting a less restrictive date range'

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 5 months later...

What do you have in your /etc/fstab as floppy entry?

Mine looks like this and works quite okay:

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

Mine looks different in Mandriva, are you on another distro arctic ;)

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto umask=0,users,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

satelliteuser083, you are not on your own with a very slow floppy, mine is in a pc and like yours nothing happens for ages when writing to the drive, even when it gets started very short burst are sent to the drive. I've been meaning to do something about it since installing 2006. :zzz: Strangely enough it worked fine in previous versions. I'm going to look into it today so I'll report back if and when I find something, unless someone can beat me to it. ;)

arctic, my floppy entry in /etc/fstab looked almost identical to yours, except that mine contained 'iocharset=iso8859-1' (instead of '-15'). Anyway, I tried your entry, ian, and, yoohoo :lol2: , it seems to work. The only difference is that the floppy is not automatically mounted (presumeably 'noauto'), but when I mount it via KDiskFree it reads the floppy immediately and also writes to it pretty rapidly. Will keep it under observation. Many thanks to you both. :P

I had a similar problem with usb sticks, I found out it was due to the async entry in fstab, which should be sync for removable media but I believe it was sync for you guys already.

sync = write realtime

async = write at a convenient time

the noauto option only applies to when the system is booted - it tells the system not to mount this device/partition automatically at boot. after you boot, automounting should be done through udev or devfs (i'm not sure which mandriva 2006 uses).