Widescreen Laptop will not display the screen in 1280x800

Guest tanman

I cant seem to get my laptop to display the screen in 1280x800. Windows displays the screen in that resolution just fine, so I know its a compatible screen size. I tried to configure my card, but it just doesnt seem to matter what I do, it will not display 1280x800. What can I do to figure this out?

Edited by tanman

Please post your graphics card as well. This is a very common problem with intel integrated grapics which will default to 1024x768 no matter what you do to xorg.conf. There is fix for this available.

My graphics card is Intel Extreme 2 Graphics - 32 MB Shared Video Memory. As far as the /etc/xorg.conf, I dont seem to have it. I even checked to see if it was hidden and it does not appear to be in that directory?

You might even need to download and use the drivers direct from Intel, if the Open Source ones havent been updated to deal with widescreen laptops, etc.

I do not have a X11 directory. I scanned the hard drive for the file and still didnt find it. Is this a problem. Did I not install something.

The file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Look there.

I am running Mandriva 2006, If that makes a difference.

If you are using mdv 2006, the intel drivers should be included IIRC. Even with the intel drivers, you need to download and install a special tool called 915resolution. Here's some articles describing exactly what's involed:

http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/atrivedi/entry/...solution_reply/

Here's what I did to get my acer working at 1200x800 with mdv2006:

1. the intel driver was installed by default so no problem there but the system defaulted to 1024x768 no matter what I did;

2. I downloaded the 915resolution tarball from here:

http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/download.html

extracted the tarball and followed the install instructions in the readme file. It installed without out a hitch. You should have your kernel source installed for this to go;

3. Used the 915resolution tool to reset the video bios and was able to get 1200x800 native resolution for the first time. See the examples in the readme and the previously posted links for a detailed discussion on how to do this;

4. Once you have something that works, you have to automate the running of the 915resolution command on boot as the changes it makes are transient and will disappear every time you boot up. Just put your 915resolution command at the end of /ect/rc.d/rc.local. that script runs every time you boot up and will reset the video bios with the 915resolution command so you always are able to get 1200x800.

That's a little involved but it does work. You can edit your xorg.conf file from now til doomsday and it won't give you 1200x800 no matter what you do without 915resolution. This is a problem with xorg which does not properly pickup some nonstandard screen sizes which are increasingly becoming standard in laptops.

You DO have an /etc/X11 directory, that's for granted... and you DO have an xorg.conf file in there.

If you cannot find it, then I'm sorry, but noone can help you.

Hint: when you do the search, begin from the root directory ( / ) and not from /home/tanman - and also do it as root (although in that instance you should also find it even if performing the search as normal user).

Edited by scarecrow