My biggest gripe..

michaelcole

Why is it that every once in a while.. Quite often i find that the FTP site change the way in which the Source and Files are arranged..

Not in the Case with the actual directories but the HDLISTS.. KEEP MOVING..

I get my updates each morning then once in a while the updates complain that something has changed.. YES i have to go in and manually change the position of the media for some reason..

Who ever is in charge of this could you place the method you used on your wall to remember it next time.... So we do not have to change again.. PLEASE..

The latest change was for the CONTRIBS hdlist....

I am sorry but my computer is not a mind reader....

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

:lol:

If you are talking about the server we are on, you need to tell Kernow about it. If it is the Mandriva servers, then tell them. We have no control over the directory trees on any of the servers or mirrors!

Ok i don't personally know Kernow.. so i posted it here..

If they are using Rsync which the servers listed should be then it is across all sites.. I don't know why someone would intentionally change their server to be different to others.. And this has occurred on many different servers in the past..

So it is my gripe.. And the only one.... Else everything else is working a charm..

Well done again to the Mandriva team for the packages... AND have a great Year in 2006.. I will not say luck as i don't think any of your advancements have been luck but good planning..

:lol:

If you are talking about the server we are on, you need to tell Kernow about it. If it is the Mandriva servers, then tell them. We have no control over the directory trees on any of the servers or mirrors!

Ok i don't personally know Kernow.. so i posted it here..

If they are using Rsync which the servers listed should be then it is across all sites.. I don't know why someone would intentionally change their server to be different to others.. And this has occurred on many different servers in the past..

So it is my gripe.. And the only one.... Else everything else is working a charm..

Well done again to the Mandriva team for the packages... AND have a great Year in 2006.. I will not say luck as i don't think any of your advancements have been luck but good planning..

I think you're still misunderstanding something.

Mandrivausers.org is a community/user run forum, Mandriva has no involvement in it, and while some of their employees -may- visit here, it is not the proper place to post comments directed at them. You should look at their website, mandrivalinux.com, for contact information as to where to send your complaints.

Kernow is a webhosting company run by former/current administrators of this forum, and can be visit at kernow-webhosting.com where you can get contact information for them if you have comments/suggestions/complaints regarding the server this board is hosted on.

yes the obvious way is to tqke the email address from thier website ...

ooops they dont have one .... oops

So write a letter in French to

43 rue d'Aboukir

75002 Paris

France

or

Phone: +33 1 40 41 00 41

Fax: +33 1 40 41 92 00

But I think what tyme really means is we are :

Though we are linked to Mandriva and bear their name, this board is operated independently of Mandriva. Spreading our wings, we now support and offer technical help on all Linux Distro's.

from about us :

D

Anyhow.. Now i know this is not the same company..

I went out and purchased some items for an old laptop last night for my wife, Monitor, keyboard, mouse, External Drive, Printer, Game Pad...

And guess what ...

IT ALL WORKED....

Now i have to find some cool games to play with the game pad....

HP Deskjet 3940

Logitech Wingman Precision Gamepad

A4 mouse and keyboard..

Now I have run out of ports need another USB Splitter..

So cool when it all just plugs in the printer is not bad the amount of options for printing quality is massive under KDE.. (Fantastic..)

Anyhow.. Now i know this is not the same company..
this board is not even a company ;) (Atleast, from most users point of view)

Gowator: what's all this then? Seems like a couple different methods of contact to me ;). Given, it's standard form contact, but that is the usual manner for companies nowadays.

Edited by tyme

Gowator: what's all this then?  Seems like a couple different methods of contact to me ;).  Given, it's standard form contact, but that is the usual manner for companies nowadays.

If you read it carefully then the contacts are not really relevant

You have an address to write to as per legal requirements:

Address:

501 West Broadway

Suite A, #298

San Diego, CA 92101

Contact

If you are a registered bizpartner:

* Corporate Business/Partnership contact: bispartner at mandriva dot com

But a recent and very welcome addition is :D

Mandriva Store issues:

* sc.uscan.misc at mandrivastore dot com - sc.uscan.status at mandrivastore dot com

The problem is there is nowhere to email if you have any other problem. Im guessing the Mandrake store is strictly mandrake store, that is delivery problems only so you are back in the same catch-22 I was in when I found this place.

When I emailed the only address at the time I got an email back suggesting I join the club and suggesting using mandrake expert when my problem was faulty CD's.

If you contrast this to Suse

http://www.novell.com/company/contact.html...contact-offices

You actually get the pre-sales and they actually answer questions.

The point is Mandrivel really make it hard to contact them. This is largely a French attitude (I should know) where customer service is an oxymoron. There is a till-receipt culture in France which is not there in the USA or UK. If you purchase a faulty item in the UK you write to the manufactuurer and they will usually not only recompense you but send you a gift if its a reputable company. I remember my mum sending back some chocolates because they had melted and she got about 10 mixed boxes back of the best of the range. They didn't ask for a receipt because they don't care when they are defending a reputation. Legally the store is responsible but they have an idea of customer care.

In France the buck is passed to the store. Legally its the same in the UK but the companies care about image ... wheras in France they simply don't care. You can have a dated item (like a news paper missing a page) and you go to a newsstand where the guy remembers you buying it 10 minutes earlier and he will refuse to exchange it without a receipt. Give him a receipt and he will change it!

French people have really fat wallets full of receipts. Really its no receipt no reimbursement regardless of how good a customer you are. Even buying a single apple on a market you are given a receipt its very weird...

This is a very weird concept for anyone who is brought up in a service environment but for instance its largely like dealing with airlines... unless you have a gold frequent flier card they really don't care about you or inconveniencing you. My brother just spent 1 1/2 days in an airport of a 2 week holiday and the company (Emirates) simply told him it was a reasonable delay since he couldn't have walked to the Maldives faster... no compensation or even apology! (actually not even an explanation beyond technical problems)

All the airlines know that they are all equally bad so they don't make any effort at making you happy. This is the general idea with companies in France I guess....people don't expect any more of the company.

There's a feedback form right here, and chances are if you have business dealings with them then you probably already have an email address. I don't see why everyone says there's "no way of contacting them", there's a whole list of ways, depending on what your issue is. If it's business, theirs office contacts here, if it's related to their services (store, club, expert) here and if it's any sort of feedback on their product (bugs, complaints, etc.) then you just use the forum here. I don't see where the problem is, Gowator. They've covered all the possible reasons you'd want to contact them.

Edited by tyme

There's a feedback form right here, and chances are if you have business dealings with them then you probably already have an email address.  I don't see why everyone says there's "no way of contacting them", there's a whole list of ways, depending on what your issue is.  If it's business, theirs office contacts here, if it's related to their services (store, club, expert) here and if it's any sort of feedback on their product (bugs, complaints, etc.) then you just use the forum here.  I don't see where the problem is, Gowator.  They've covered all the possible reasons you'd want to contact them.

Because the possible subjects are:

Im sooooo happy with mandriva

Professional services

Bug reports

Wishes for next release....

So in the instance above .. are the mirrors a bug report? Feedback ?

The problem is for me it seems that they simply bin everything and after spending the time to write something constructive its just trashed.....and if they have no intention of listening they should just say so....

Something like 3 years ago I last tried those and the eMails and I got back a form email 'thank you for your comments .... " which had nothing to do with the form or email it was obviously not even written to me but just a standardised reply.

This was comfirmed by me replying .and saying that this was not a response to my question and getting exactly the same auto-generated .. thank you for your ... that they sent me to the first one.. give it a try with

Wishes for next release...

Im betting you can put that you want Mandrake to pilot a small airplane and fly to mars and the response will be thank you for your interest and they are looking at this for the next release ...

This gets me pissed because it is just another

cat my_long_thought_out_opinion > /dev/null.....

The bottom line seems to be that you can submit what you want but noone will actually bother to read it. If this is the case then fine... but why pretend it has anything to do with community?

As a counter here is a site i use for some photo processing software.

www.bibblelabs.com

and the forum:

http://support.bibblelabs.com/webboard/

Here the actual developers are answering and responding and any genuine stuff is actually usually done the same day or week .. sometimes they apologise and say they can't but at least you are communicating with a human being.

This proves it can be done for commercial software ... I guess for me I would be happy if Mandrake paying customers had a forum or other way to submit stuff that actually got read but then you get the whole club/powerpack "we can't decide on a business model" problem !

I guess I'm just not surprised by how they present it. I see it on many other company websites, even US-based ones. I think the problem is that people expect a "community" feeling from Open Source projects, but it's still a business, and that's how most tech businesses are nowadays. Maybe I just don't expect much.

I guess I'm just not surprised by how they present it.  I see it on many other company websites, even US-based ones.  I think the problem is that people expect a "community" feeling from Open Source projects, but it's still a business, and that's how most tech businesses are nowadays.  Maybe I just don't expect much.

I think you hit it on the head.

Community is important for me ... its one of the better reasons to use linux...

This board for instance is a real community ... and its one reason I still tell peoople to try mandriva... especially if they want a real forum. Try Ubuntui forums to see how badly they can be but then the Ubuntu Wiki is better... my preference though is a forum not a Wiki.

I appreciate they need to make money but IMHO the problem is they haven't decided how. Somehow they have the 'club' and Paid up powerpacks and the one thing they have never got round to doing is actually giving away the same verison to Club members as the powerpack... or giving free membership for the life of the powerpack in the club!

The whole division over binary drivers etc. just complicates this (to me) ... they should just be straight up about them instead of some half assed story about distributing them!

I think Mandriva still want a community at least that is the way they come off but conflicting interests seem to prevent it developing ...

It's a business problem, Gowator. They want to make money. I have no problem with that at all. They should make money. But, they are trying to make money on a concept that they did not create and do not understand. That is the community. In business, one makes money from a community, not by making a community. They think that they can generate a community, e.g., the club, and then generate the money. The funny thing is if they actually provide services as a result, they could generate capital. But instead, their stand is to jump on the train, a train not of their making and one they tried to fight with at one time, and tell the community to pay up if you want to be a part! It's reall silly. If they focused their efforts upon marketing to that community, they would generate more income. But, they prefer to pretend to do whatever it is they think they are doing. And I agree that the contacts information is all show. It always has been. And no, successful businesses do not always make a show. Some actually take care of their community because they understand the concept of future sales from service.