strange memory amount

dhossbach

In use is mandrake 9.0 on Athlon 1800 PC.

I started with 512 Mb memory and everything was fine, Linux detected about that amount of memory.

Now after upgrading to 1,5 Gb it detects only 902 Mb.

At Boot the motherboard says there are 1.5 Gb. Everything works fine except that strange memory amount of 902 Mb.

Just wondering what is going on and what can be done to solve this problem?

Thanks for any suggestion.

The mandrake kernel is compiled to support 1 gig of ram. If you want to use more than that then configure the kernel to use more ram and recompile it.

Here is a tutorial on how to do that:

http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/mdkkernel

At the 'make menuconfig' step, choose the followings..

Processor_Type_And_Features-->High_Memory_Support

and select 4Gigs. While being there choose which type of processor you have ..

Hope that helps

MOttS

You should do what Motts has said, but meanwhile you can try the enterprise kernel that should be in your distro-cds, because If I don't remember bad the enterprise-already-compiled-kernel has High_Memory_Support enabled.

Not sure 100%

You should do what Motts has said, but meanwhile you can try the enterprise kernel that should be in your distro-cds, because If I don't remember bad the enterprise-already-compiled-kernel has High_Memory_Support enabled.

Not sure 100%

This is true. The enterprise kernel is already compiled with the high amount of memory option enabled. But .. I don't know if it is on your cds either... lol

MOttS

Recompiling the Kernel sounds like a potentaily risky operation. Also a win4lin compiled kernel is being used to run some specific sofware not available for Linux wich makes it more difficult.

Since this PC is very important for my Business, I do not want to take the risk of damaging the system and having to reinstall everything.

However, I am considering upgrading to 9.1 when it becomes available and I hope it will be able to use more memory on a standard basis since high memory is know very common and not expensif.

Thanks for your replies.

The default kernel shiped with MDK isn't compiled to use more than 1 Gig and I don't think it's going to change for the 9.1 release.

If you compile the kernel with the .config file that is currently in the /usr/src/linux directory, it's going to be exactly like it is right now. So if you only change the High_Memory_Support in the 'make menuconfig' step, it will be exactly as it is right now + it will see all your memory. You don't have to be affraid to compile your kernel.. this is really easy with the instructions at the above link.

If you are affraid to make a mistake, make an image of your HD with Partimage ( www.partimage.org ) and then compile the kernel and install it. If it is not like you expected then put the original image back and forget about it.. .. just an idea.

Hope this help

MOttS

If I remember correctly, kernel-enterprise is on the cd's...I guess you'd need to do an Upgrade?....boot to the first install cd>press F1 at the first screen>type and Enter expert at the next screen. I've never had a need for the enterprise, so that's as far as I can go.

Hey.. when I was about to buy a 2 processors machine, I checked in rpmdrake and typed 'kernel'. The SMP kernel was there so the enterprise one MUST be there too. Open up rpmdrake and search for 'kernel'. Select the 'enterprise' one and install it. You may have to check your LILO or Grub config file to boot your new kernel. Modify the boot loader so that you can boot both kernels (ie default and enterprise). You can do that in a GUI (Mandrake Control Center) or manually by editing /etc/lilo.conf for LILO (I use lilo only). That should look something like that for LILO.

boot=/dev/hda 

map=/boot/map 

vga=normal 

default=Enterprise

prompt 

timeout=150 

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw 

image=/boot/vmlinuz_enterprise 

label=Enterprise 

root=/dev/hda5 

initrd=/boot/initrd.img 

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" 

read-only 

image=/boot/vmlinuz_default

label=Default

root=/dev/hda5 

initrd=/boot/initrd.img 

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" 

read-only

I remember now ... :P

MOttS

well if you do an install on mandrake 9.0 with more than a certain amount of ram the enterprise kernel is installed automatically, i got it when i installed on a machine with 896 mb of ram.