Mdkkdm on Mandriva 2006?

arshadmomen

I musr confess that I don't like the new themed kdm that Mandrake/Mandriva had been shipping since 2005LE. Is there a way to hack the kdm to show up like the old mdkkdm which was available on Mdk-10.1? I noted that the mdkkdm rpm is available under the contrib repository which I installed but to no avail.

Can any kind soul help me out here?

TIA,

A.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

After you installed, did you go into Configure Your Computer, and then System and Display Manager (I think it's this option) to change to another option?

Once installed, it doesn't automatically select the new DM until you've changed it here.

It's not something I tried when I was using LE2005 on one of my systems. I think you could always try gdm, but then, from when I've used it briefly, it looks very much similar to the DM you don't like right now :P

I don't know any other way of getting mdkkdm working on LE2005. I thought that may have worked for you, on what I suggested previously!

I think I know what you are looking for.

For some dumb idiotic reason, Mandriva has made a default theme setting for the Log in screen which totally blocks the login screen setup that you make in KDE Control Centre ------> System ------> Login Manager.

Do the following:-

Open Konsole and type in ... kdesu konqueror then click Enter. It will ask for your root password so type that in then click Enter again. This will open Konqueror in root mode so you do not have to login to root to be able to modify a particular file. You can close konsole now since you no longer need it.

When Konqueror opens then go to /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.

kdmrc is a file so click on it and it should open in Kwrite, scroll down to near the bottom and look for a line that looks like :- UseTheme=true

Delete the word true and type in false instead. Save the change and when you reboot you will see the proper kdm login format.

Cheers. John.

Thanks Ianw1974, AussieJohn and Dexter11 for all your posts.

Here is a couple of clarifications:

1) The "hack" which AussieJohn had suggested - I had used that before it would give me the regular kdm that comes with kde-3.4.2 , not the mdkkdm I want.

2) As for dexter11's suggestion - I had already installed the mdkkdm rpm! Maybe I should ask how does one install custom kdm themes?

Thanks again,

A.

Edited by arshadmomen

Thanks Ianw1974, AussieJohn and Dexter11 for all your posts.

Here is a couple of clarifications:

1) The "hack" which AussieJohn had suggested - I had used that before it would give me the regular kdm that comes with kde-3.4.2 , not the mdkkdm I want.

2) As for dexter11's suggestion - I had already installed the mdkkdm rpm! Maybe I should ask how does one install custom kdm themes?

Thanks again,

A.

It means you already tried the alternate configurations in KDM (Menu/Sytem/Configuration/KDE/System/KDM)