I'm on Mandriva soon

With all eycandy activated, KDE 3.4 is quite slow on my Slackware partition. What is this eyecandy (transparency, shadows,...) good for if it slows down a machine that much? Especially if you consider that E17 has dropshadows, too, and is way faster. I think they need to improve the usage of resources in KDE (and Gnome, too). :juggle:

I can't comment KDE yet, but Gnome handle it pretty well on my machine.

But you can't turn on every eyecandy in E17 without magnificent slowdown. Ever tried the moving landscape background?

I won't claim that KDE isn't slower than Gnome (just because it IS slower!), but its advantages over Gnome make it my main desktop (mainly the virtual filesystem, which is several light years ahead of GnomeVFS). And to be honest, in my i686 optimized Arch Linux the speed handicap is barely noticeable...

Can't comment on E17, as the last time I run it it was next to unusable.

KDE has taken their packages and really broken them down so that you can be very selective as to what you install. This can make for a much "lighter" desktop than previously. I know of a number of loyal gnome users that have switched because of this reason.

With all eycandy activated, KDE 3.4 is quite slow on my Slackware partition. What is this eyecandy (transparency, shadows,...) good for if it slows down a machine that much? Especially if you consider that E17 has dropshadows, too, and is way faster. I think they need to improve the usage of resources in KDE (and Gnome, too).  :juggle:

Is the dropshadow/transparency even stable yet? Last time I tried it (not long after 3.4 was released) it seemed like a bit of a mare and I went back to stock 3.3 / LE2005.

Is the dropshadow/transparency even stable yet?  Last time I tried it (not long after 3.4 was released) it seemed like a bit of a mare and I went back to stock 3.3 / LE2005.

I haven't had any luck with enabling transparencies and drop shadows in xorg. Every time I try x refuses to load. So personally I would have to say that it's not stable yet

By the way, is there package or something to kill the horrible fonts on the web-browsers?

I think some of the fonts are because of the browser being a GTK app. Installing gnome-control-center, and running gnome-font-config will sort out this. However, in your home directory .kde/Autostart you need to create a symlink to gnome-settings-daemon and each time you boot kde, the fonts for the GTK will be set based on what you chose in gnome-font-config.

If you have gnome on already, then you won't need to install the gnome-control-center, as it's already there :P