Problems on Serial ATA Hard Drive

nuno69

Welcome aboard. :)

Are you trying to access the drive as root or normal user? Did you mount the drive already? If not, trie mounting the drive from the terminal as root user.

mount -t <filesystemtype> dev/hd(XYZ) /mnt

Oh.. and what kind of filesystem is used on the drive? NTFS, VFAT, ext2, ReiserFS,...?

If you are not familiar with all this stuff, please give us some information about your general Linux experience so we can help in an easy and efficient manner.

Open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# fdisk -l

and post the output. That should list all partitions/drives that your system recognizes whether currently mounted or not. Also post this file:

/etc/fstab

Fstab is a text configuration file that controls the automounting of partitions at boot.

Finally, post your motherboard/chipset or the chipset of your sata controller. Most of the common ones are well supported in the 10.1 kernel but some where not.

I assume you are only having trouble with your sata drive and you have another ide hard drive that you installed mdk10.1 on.

ive instaled the linux on IDE hard drive but i had windows before and that SATA was my second Hard Drive on windows with all the music a photos now ive instald the linux on IDE and ive plug the SATA as a second hard drive to open the photos and music i dont whant to lose it is it possible thanks

Unless you format the drive as root user, there will be no loss of data. But maybe you should (just in case you do something "stupid") backup your most important data on some CDs/DVDs. And please add the information we asked for. :)

May I ask what makes you think you have to format the drive that has your data on it ???.

Getting the drive recognised and accessable has NOTHING to do with its format or it being formatted. Please post the info requested by the other posters.

10.1 was primitive with its support for SATA so you would be well advised to follow the suggestion made to upgrade to 10.2 (Mandriva2005-LE).

You could also try turning on Harddrake in System in MCC if it is not already activated and do a reboot and see if harddrake detects the drive Ok.

Cheers. John.

See my original post. I need the output of fdisk -l and your /etc/fstab file. If your not sure how to copy and paste that stuff, post back. That will tell us whether the drive is being detected by your system.

Also, did you add your sata drive to your system after you installed mdk 10.1? If the sata drive was there during the install and was not picked up, you will probably have to install LE2005 for the sata drive to be detected.

Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1         764     6136798+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2             765        9964    73899000    5  Extended
/dev/hda5             765         904     1124518+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6             905        9964    72774418+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120060444672 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14596 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1       14596   117242338+  42  SFS

And now???

Thanks

Your drive is being detected. It's the 120GB drive and has the device file in linux of /dev/sda. It has one primary partition. You didn't post your /ect/fstab but I would guess there is no entry for /dev/sda1 which is the partition on the drive you are trying to access. The only thing that troubles me is the filesystem on the drive which is designated "SFS". For an NTFS formatted partition, the designation would normally be "HPFS/NTFS". It's probably NTFS if it was on windows.

Next step is to try and mount the partition in a console. Run this:

$ su

<enter root password>

# mkdir /mnt/sata

# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sata

Here, we created a directory, /mnt/sata, through which you will access the partition; this is called a mount point. If the above mount command did not give you an error, you can now access the sata drive through /mnt/sata. Just open up konqueror and navigate to /mnt/sata; you should see the entire contents of the drive. CAUTION: linux support for NTFS is read only. Do not attempt to write to the drive or to delete any files on the drive. Doing so can result in filesystem corruption and data loss. You can, however, safely copy anything on the sata drive to your linux drive. You can also back up nthe sata drives files to CD-R if you have a CD burner.

Post back your results. If you can successfully mount the drive, we can edit /etc/fstab to automount the drive on boot.

Could not change the current folder to file:///mnt/sata:

Error opening directory '/mnt/sata': Permission denied

This is the message ive received when i tried to open the SATA another problem is when i have my SATA conected to de pc and i try to open HOME it doesnt open

I think i only can acess as a root

Thanks

Edited by nuno69