Problems on Serial ATA Hard Drive

nuno69

No problem. Open another console and run:

$ kdesu konqueror

A window will pop up prompting you for your root password. Enter it and konqueror will open up with root privileges. Navigate to /mnt/sata and you should see the contents of your sata drive.

Another way to check is after running the mount command as root that I gave you before, run this:

# ls /mnt/sata

that should list the contents of the /mnt/sata directory. If the mount command did not spit any errors out at you, the sata drive should be mounted by the way; you're just about home free so be patient.

We can set that up now. I just wanted to confirm that you could manually mount the drive and access its files. You need to edit fstab for the drive to be automounted at boot. You need to be root to edit /etc/fstab. Open a console and run:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab

Enter the root password when prompted and text editor called kwrite will open with root privileges displaying the text configuration file, /etc/fstab. Add this line to the end of fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sata ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

save the changes and exit kwrite. Now go back to your console and as root run:

# umount /dev/sda1

# mount /mnt/sata

That unmounts sda1 and remounts it with the fstab options I just gave you. You should now be able to access /mnt/sata as an ordinary user. In addition, every time you boot up your sata drive will be automatically mounted.

Edited by pmpatrick