Weird question about my router and my Linux machine

Slagathor

ok, I got a Linksys router, I use it for DHCP for the IP's on my network.

If my Linux machine is on for more then a day, it drops out of the DHCP clients table on the router.

I dont know if it changes it's IP number, I don't know how to check it....

I am using EMIII to monitor the Folding on it, when this happins I have to shut EMIII down, connect to it with explorer, then it see's it again........

Any ideas what is causing this???????

I have no idea what is causing it but you can try to reconnect to your DHCP server by typing AS ROOT 'dhcpcd ethX' where X is your ethernet card number … for most people it's eth0.

You can also check your linux IP by typing AS ROOT 'ifconfig'. You'll get the LO (loop back interface) IP, which is usually 127.0.0.1 and your Ethernet IP .. something like 192.168.0.1

MOttS

hey.. the client lease time is set to 1 day !! This means that when you are connected to the dhcp server for more than one day, your ip changes. Put 1000000000000000000 if you want the boxes connected to the dhcp server to not be droped.

MOttS

The workstation machines should update their ip's automatically when told to get and ip from a DHCP.

The lease is the time for which and 'ip configuration' is valid. Normally if your lease is set to one day, the workstations will will update their ip's everyday. The fact that your linux box isn't doing this troubles me. That means that something in your configuration is not quite right. Your linux box should update it's ip everyday too because thats what your DHCP server told it.!! I wouldn't know where to start though, but check yur settings...!!

Let me know if you don't come right.