Internet sharing [SOLVED]

Arne

Hello Guys,

I have for a couple of days tried to access internet trough modem on XP but I cannot. I have read a lot and played around a lot but the only thing I have achieved is to get confused on higher level.

My physical setup is:

XP sp2 box with a wireless PCMCIA high speed modem. It's a multifunction card since it also can bu used as phone. It's recognized as a Primary Network Adapter-LAN Card by XP.

Linux on Thinkpad notebook with mdk 10.1 OE.

The computers is connected trough a crossover patch cable. XP have a 32 bit PCI card (3Com SOHO) and the notebook have a 32 bit PCMCIA Ethernet card with (Realtek chip RTL 8139C) at 100Mbps.

File and Printer charing is enabled and working OK, thanks to great help from this forum. File sharing works only one way, from linux to XP.

The status can be listed as follows:

I extracted some files from /var/log/messages after try to connect to internet with a browser.

smb: smbd startup succeeded

smb: nmbd startup succeeded

rc: Starting kheader: succeeded

smb: smbd shutdown failed

nmbd[3404]: [2005/09/09 08:51:27, 0]

nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)

nmbd[3404]: *****

nmbd[3404]: Samba name server 192 is now a local master browser for workgroup MDKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.4

nmbd[3404]: *****

CROND[4524]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)

msec: changed mode of /var/log/cups/access_log from 644 to 640

smbd[4675]: [2005/09/09 09:04:58, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)

smbd[4675]: getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

smbd[4675]: [2005/09/09 09:04:58, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(430)

smbd[4675]: write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Connection reset by peer

smbd[4675]: [2005/09/09 09:04:58, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(455)

smbd[4675]: write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 23: ERRNO = Connection reset by peer

smbd[4675]: [2005/09/09 09:04:58, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(647)

smbd[4675]: Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Connection reset by peer)

end quote.

Do this give any clue????????????

MCC, network & internet, manage connection looks like this

TCP/IP, protocol: static

IP adress: 192.168.1.4 (linux box IP address)

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (XP box IP address)

Options: Start at boot: checked

Track network card ID: checked

Network Hotplugging: not checked

Metric: blank

Information

Vendor: ‎Realtek

Description: ‎RTL-8139

Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET

Module name: ‎8139too

Mac Address: ‎00:50:fc:b9:79:e0

Bus: ‎PCI

Location on the bus: ‎5

end quote.

Any thing wrong here Guys????????????????????

Phoned ISP to get the nameserver IP address. They directed me to DOS command:

ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter CDMA 1xRTT - AirCard 555

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : blank

IP address : 10.30.104.92

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway : 10.30.104.92

Is IP address and nameserver IP address the same?????????????????????????

[root@192 arne3]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

#nameserver 10.30.104.92

search 168.1.1

# search mshome.net

nameserver 192.168.0.1

# ppp temp entry

end quote.

I tried the IP 10.30.104.92 from the ISP but it didn't work.

[root@192 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=192.168.1.4

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

end quote.

[root@192 sysconfig]# cat network

HOSTNAME=192.168.1.1

NETWORKING=yes

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

GATEWAYDEV="eth0 "

end quote.

On the XP box the the Local Area Connection has the following in TCP/IP:

Use the following IP address: checked

IP address : 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

No default Gateway

On the CDMA 1xRTT - AirCard 555 (Wireless High speed internet) the TCP/IP

Optain an IP address automatically: CHECKED

I can ping 192.168.1.4 (linux box)

I can ping 192.168.1.1 (XP gateway)

I cannot ping a browers alfa name

I cannot ping a browser URL number

The AirCard 555 is start as a dial up modem ie it phones a special phone number (#777), and is set to "Optain an IP address automatically"

On "Network connection" the card show up under "Dial up" and under "lan or High-Speed Internet.

In linux box the on the right bottom panel the status is: Network is down on interface eth0

in spite of the fact that file sharing and printer sharing works.

Sharing is activated on the modem in Network Connection but it do not show under "my network places".

I have tried to give as much info as possible to reduce the number of return questions. If anything is missing please don't hesitate to ask.

I don't know what more I can do. It looks like a needle in haystack but I dont know what kind of needle to look for.

PLEASE HELP ME.

I wrote this 2 days ago, still no reply.

Edited by Qchem

Thank's for reply.

Yesterday I tried to run "setup a home...network" wizard again. Previousely I have runned "Local Area Network" and choosen "CDMA 1xRTT Aircard 555 when I am asked in the wizard.

This time I choose The dialup Hutch High Speed when asked in the wizaard. Several things happen. Firstly linux cannot reach the host. Ping report the host is unreachable so file sharing and print sharing do not work. On XP the browser and printing work fine. The Rx and the Tx run all the time even I dont download or upload anything. Just now Rx = 1.22 Mb and Tx=793.8Kb.

I didn't do that before.

I have enclosed A screen print out of my Network connection in XP. I believe the aircard have a dial up function and when the connection are made with the ISP the "CDMA 1xRTT..." is activated.

I am not sure the new setup running wizard again is wrong. I believe it's possible that the wizard changed other things making the host unreachable from linux.

So to your questions:

[root@192 arne3]# route  Kernel IP routing table 

Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface 

192.168.1.0    *              255.255.255.0      U      0        0        0 eth0

127.0.0.0        *              255.0.0.0            U    0          0        0 lo 

default            *              0.0.0.0                U    0        0        0 eth0

The firewall in XP is confirmed to accomodate the LAN setup. and the firewall

in linux is not turned on (No firewall)

My MCC setting is

Basic: Standard

Network options: all default

System options: all default

Periodic checks: all default

Is the ISP IP address the same as nameserver IP address??????

Running ipconfig on XP gives DOS screen output enclosed as file:ipconfig1.

After reading this ipconfig it seems like the dial up "Hutch High speed" do some more than dialing up since the ethernet adapter is disconnected.

What do you think about this?????????

post-11029-1126589096_thumb.jpg

post-11029-1126590263_thumb.jpg

The ISP IP address won't be the same as the DNS servers. Normally you'll have an IP that you'll connect with, and then at least one entry for the DNS servers.

On the XP machine, when connected to the internet, type ipconfig /all and this will give you all the config info. Make a note of the DNS Server entries. These are normally allocated automatically by most ISP's unless you are allocated a static IP Address. Then they'll normally give you the information you require. Since they pointed you to ipconfig, then chances are it's automatically assigned.

Easiest way to test. On the XP machine, if you can browse, then name servers are OK. What you now need is to ensure the Linux machine has the XP IP address as your default gateway.

Then, configure the DNS servers IP's in Linux as well, as it needs to be able to resolve the domain names. Providing that the Windows machine is configured for opening the dialup connection when a request is made to it, you should be OK.

Post back how you get on. Hopefully I'm not repeating something that's already been done! :P

Thank's for reply ianw1974,

I have been without electricity for almost 2 days so sorry for late reply.

On the XP machine, when connected to the internet, type ipconfig /all and this will give you all the config info. Make a note of the DNS Server entries. These are normally allocated automatically by most ISP's unless you are allocated a static IP Address. Then they'll normally give you the information you require. Since they pointed you to ipconfig, then chances are it's automatically assigned.

Please se the attachement ipconfig2. DNS server 172.25.3.1 and 2.

Easiest way to test. On the XP machine, if you can browse, then name servers are OK.

On the XP box I can browse

What you now need is to ensure the Linux machine has the XP IP address as your default gateway.

The following should confirm that:

[root@192 sysconfig]# cat network 

HOSTNAME=192.168.1.1 

NETWORKING=yes 

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 

GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

Then, configure the DNS servers IP's in Linux as well, as it needs to be able to resolve the domain names.

The following files should confirm that:

[root@192 etc]# cat resolv.conf 

nameserver 172.25.3.1 

nameserver 172.25.3.2 

# nameserver 10.31.228.199 

# nameserver 10.30.104.92 

# nameserver 192.168.0.1 

search 168.1.1 

# search mshome.net   

# ppp temp entry

Providing that the Windows machine is configured for opening the dialup connection when a request is made to it, you should be OK.

The dial up feature in XP is not configured to opening at request and it's not set to share since the ethernet LAN has the sharing activated.

My ifcfg-eth0 is unchanged and ifconfig and route look like this:

[root@192 arne3]# ifconfig 

eth0     

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:FC:B9:79:E0           

inet addr:192.168.1.4  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0           

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1           

RX packets:129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0           

TX packets:2404 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0           

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000           

RX bytes:19973 (19.5 Kb)  TX bytes:150496 (146.9 Kb)           

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000   

lo       

Link encap:Local Loopback           

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0           

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1           

RX packets:953 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0           

TX packets:953 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0           

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0          

RX bytes:92679 (90.5 Kb)  TX bytes:92679 (90.5 Kb)

[root@192 arne3]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         *               0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 eth0

I don't understand this addresses. I believed the destinations should 192.168.1.1 but it's not. 127.0.0.0 What is this?????????

The status even after reboot is:

ping linux box OK

ping XP box OK

cannot browse in Linux.

I find it strange that the CDMA 1xRTT should be disabled in the setup. Previousely, before the LAN was established I connected trough this "Aircard 555 Watcher" on top right of the screen, please see attachement.

When I try to connect this way now I cannot browse in XP. I have to connect trough clicking the default "Network connection". Even then I cannot open the spellchecker in the forum.

Maybe I should try to use CDMA 1xRTT instead of the Dial up connection. I have tried it before with no luck. It's so many settings (variables) which have impact on this isssue so I dont know what to change.

What is your opnion.....please.

post-11029-1126762497_thumb.jpg

Couple of minor changes. In your resolv.conf place a # before that search 168.1.1 line as this will cause problems.

127.0.0.1 is loopback address for your machine, you don't need to worry about this, it's normal and is required.

In Windows XP, what you need to do is go into the properties of the ethernet card, and enable for Internet Connection sharing. Then it will ask what device to use, which will be your modem connection which should have username/password already configured so that it can connect. If it doesn't automatically dial it, then you might have to manually launch the dialup connection yourself within XP, then it should route it all OK.

Now, if I'm right, Windows XP will change the IP range to something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 I can't remember which one it chooses by default.

Then the linux machine needs to have more or less the following:

IP 192.168.1.4 (I think this is as it is now).

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1 (important).

DNS (from ISP as above which is in resolv.conf).

Then when connected to internet, do a ping of XP machine. If replies OK, then open terminal and type the following:

nslookup
set type=any
linux.org

this should give you entries and will show that name resolution is taking place. If after you type nslookup you get an error message about a server, then it cannot contact the DNS Server, and would suggest it's not able to get through the internet connection sharing correctly.

Isn't the CDMA card a wireless card? Which way do you access the internet? I'm assuming it's via the hutch modem. If you can explain a little more about the network setup, that will help me understand what's going on. Eg:, for me I have Netgear router that manages my adsl link, then a firewall box, then this is connected to my machines by cable. If you can explain how all yours links in together, and the role of CDMA and hutch modem, that would be great. I can then figure out how it's meant to be routing.

Hope that helps some :P

I am not sure if you read my second posting before you you sent your reply. If youy did You answer quickly.

Some explanation is in my inital post.

PCMCIA card is wireless modem which is a properity modem of Hutch in Thailand. It has 2 function in XP = ISP and phone. The software for XP installs one dialup for connecting to Hutch named "Hutch High Speed" and

installs a High-Speed Internet named "CDMA 1xRTT-Aircard 555"

XP recognize CDMA 1xRTT...... as the Primary Network Adapter - LAN card.

So to your comments. The # is in front of search. Thank's

From the property in the ethernet card when activate Internet sharing it do not ask which device to use. It ask this question only by running "set up local area network...." Do you want me to run this wizard again??

By changing the property it looks like it choose 192.168.1.1

When I run

nslookup

set type=any

linux.org

The message is connection timed out: no server could be reached.

So it looks like I should run the network wizard again, right or....

I think the big problem here is with XP. What you should have, from what I'm guessing is as follows:

Standard Ethernet 10/100 network card

Hutch High Speed Modem (for ADSL connection I presume).

Now what should happen is this. Normally you see the Linux machine across the Standard Ethernet 10/100 network card, with both machines connected to a hub or switch.

Since we need the ethernet card to route to the hutch modem, we enable internet connection sharing on the ethernet card, and it will then ask what it should be shared with, which is where you choose the hutch card. So when you browse the web from linux, it should go like this:

linux browsing request --> xp ethernet card --> hutch modem --> internet.

Is this how you have it set up, or do you only have one card which acts as an ethernet card and hutch modem? Eg, it is LAN card and ADSL card all in one?

Sorry, my fault, it's changed in XP, I'm referring to how it used to be in 2000. I think from the help center, that it wants to use the wizard to share it out. As it says recommends using network setup wizard.

Standard Ethernet 10/100 network card  Hutch High Speed Modem (for ADSL connection I presume).

linux browsing request --> xp ethernet card --> hutch modem --> internet.

This is all correct.

I only want to add that PCMCIA card is monted on the desktop trough a PCMCIA adapter whic is a PCI adapter

The network card is a PCI card, 3com SOHO type 32 bit card.

I also think the problem is on XP side but the confusing ting is that I actually have 2 LAN card as it is recognized by XP.

The high speed definitions don't give ADSL speed but around 150 kbps on FTP download and 40 to 60 kbps on browsing if the signal strenght is good.

I have been digging into the manual for the PCMCIA card and reinstalled the card.

Please open the attachement AirCard1 and 2 which in a few words says that the Aircard behaves as:

A modem during dial up data connection and faxes

A phone during voice connections

A network interface card during 1xRTT connections

more details in the attchement.

Secondly I have read about the "Network Bridge" in case you have 2 or more LAN cards. I have never tried this options.

Is this a good idee or.....please.......

I am running out of option. maybe I should forget about the hole thing.post-11029-1126856737_thumb.jpgpost-11029-1126856783_thumb.jpg

OK, I understand what's happening now. Your ethernet card for the Aircard is disabled, because the other ethernet card is faster.

When you were running the network wizard to enable internet connection sharing, did it ask for the interface that is the internet connection. In this instance, it will be the aircard, but the ppp side since this is what provides the internet connection. Then, this would be linked with the normal ethernet card, rather than the Aircard, so make sure that it's definitely using the other ethernet card when you work your way through the wizard.

We wouldn't use network bridging in this instance. My friend uses this for networking his firewire interface. It can be bridged with the network card, so that it's like a networked firewire device. Unfortunately, when this is enabled, he cannot use file sharing and things like that to access the machine, so he has to delete the network bridge to get normal operation. In this instance, if we network-bridged for you, it wouldn't work for internet either.

We need to somehow get this internet connection sharing working, by ensuring the correct cards are chosen in the wizard (which I'm sure you've done). But no harm going through it again to make sure.

Hi,

I also connect to internet from MDK 10.1 through XP and it works fine.

What i did is pretty simple: I installed a small proxy on XP and configured MDK to connect to it. If your LAN cars are OK and you can ping each one - then that should work for you.

P.S. I use a USB ADSL modem on XP and this is my proxy.

I have reinstalled the aircard again just to make sure because it have behaved strangly for some time as I have mentioned in my posting. This time the card working correctly. Strange install since I got a resource conflict and had to disable the ethernet LAN card. This aircard demands a special resource. After I could enable the Ethernet LAN card again. Now the hardware manager is clean and the start up works as it should.

Then, this would be linked with the normal ethernet card, rather than the Aircard, so make sure that it's definitely using the other ethernet card when you work your way through the wizard.

As far as the manual goes this behaviour in XP is automatic. i.o.w. if a faster network adapter is present it uses that and when the network adapter is disabled or not present the AirCard take over as a network LAN.

When you were running the network wizard to enable internet connection sharing, did it ask for the interface that is the internet connection. In this instance, it will be the aircard, but the ppp side since this is what provides the internet connection.

During Network setup wizard it show 2 options; dial up modem and the aircard LAN connection and it propose the LAN connection as the most likely. At that time I choose the dial up modem since I have tried the other one before without luck.

After choosing the dial up modem it was not OK. Taken into account that the Aircard at the time didn't work as it should, could be the reason for the problem with the browsing from the linux box.

After re-enable of the Ethernet LAN (not aircard) The ipconfig now show up like this:

Ethernet adapter CDMA 1xRTT - AirCard 555

Media state: Media disconneted

Description: Sierra..........

Physical Address: 00-A0-D5-FF-FF-82

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :

Description: 3Com.....

Physical Address: 00-04-75-B6-EC-DD

Dhcp Enabled: No

IP address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway:

PPP adapter hutch high speed

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :

Description: WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled: No

IP address: 10.30.103.237

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.255

Default gateway: 10.30.103.237

DNS Servers: 172.25.3.1 and 172.25.3.2

I think this confirms that as long as a faster Ethernet is avilable it automatically disconnect aircard Ethernet adapter.

In the detail (lower left) on the window showing the Network Connection I have:

Hutch High Speed

dial up

Disconnected, firewalled

Sierra Wireless AirCard 555

Modem

and for:

Local Area Connection 3

LAN or high-speed internet

Connected, firewalled

Sierra Wireless Aircard 555 Adapter

IP address: 10.31.252.232

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.255

Assigned by DCHP

and finally:

Local Area Connection

LAN...........

Connected, SHARED, Firewalled

3Com OfficeConnect 10/100 Network Interface Card (3CSOHO100B-TX)

IP address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Manually Configured.

You see even though AirCard ethernet adapter is disabled in ipconfig it shows up as connected in the status window above. I mean this indicate that we dont need to look into forcing use of the faster Ethernet LAN. Do you agree?????

The fact that Aircard LAN adapter is assigned by DCHP and 3Com card is manually Configured worries me. Will this prevent linux box access to internet????????

I also wonder the Modem is disconnected. It could mean the it only used for dial up and some of the modem function is somewhere els. ???????

Finally I believe the right ting to do is to run the wizard again and choose the dial up modem.

What do you think???????

And thank's for hanging in on this issue.

Thanks for your reply ilia_kr

I have not tried to establish a proxy but it look interesting.

Sinc XP presumebly handles sharing better than 98SE I would like to try with the path I have now first.

If it fails I would like to come back to you and your solution if it's OK for you.