Is KDE stable? compared to gnome?

Arne

Please, do NOT allow this thread deteriorate to another lame "Gnome sucks/ KDE sucks" thing. BOTH are perfectly fine (and the same applies for XFCE4), it is simply up to the user which desktop he will prefer.

Mandriva is surely enough KDE-centric, but IMO (since I don't use Mandy anymore) any sensible Mandriva user can also switch to another desktop environment of choice with little effort.

IMO again it's unfair to compare Mandy with PCLOS. The latter is wonderful Mandy hack ( actually I believe that it works far better than Mandy right-out-of-the-box), but it is a one man show, and not a community effort. What happens if Texstar gets bored (since his current no-donation status suggests he will lose motivation sooner rather than later) and call it curtains?

At least on distros where a large community is involved (Mandrake is one of them, although definitely not the most "open") nothing too serious will happen if a developer quits.

Edited by scarecrow

Please, do NOT allow this thread deteriorate to another lame "Gnome sucks/ KDE sucks" thing. BOTH are perfectly fine (and the same applies for XFCE4), it is simply up to the user which desktop he will prefer.

Mandriva is surely enough KDE-centric, but IMO (since I don't use Mandy anymore) any sensible Mandriva user can also switch to another desktop environment of choice with little effort.

IMO again it's unfair to compare Mandy with PCLOS. The latter is wonderful Mandy hack ( actually I believe that it works far better than Mandy right-out-of-the-box), but it is a one man show, and not a community effort. What happens if Texstar gets bored (since his current no-donation status suggests he will lose motivation sooner rather than later) and call it curtains?

At least on distros where a large community is involved (Mandrake is one of them, although definitely not the most "open") nothing too serious will happen if a developer quits.

I'm not sure I understand your point. It was observed that kde was unstable. I simply pointed out that some customized kde's might be unstable, while at the same time other customized kde's are quite stable. My point is that the customization efforts are to blame and not kde. Of course, I have only been using kde since Mandrake 7.0 days, so I am not very experienced. B) As far as software developers, money, wm wars and such, you have read far too much into my post. I'm afraid your points are just irrelevent to the stability of kde. But like what you wish; choice is the name of the game.

I don't get the point either. Someone says

Now you are familiar with the problems of KDE but when you switch to gnome you will find the grass isn't greener on the other side.
..shouldn't that say
After becoming familiar with the problems of KDE I found whenever I switched to gnome,  the grass isn't greener on the other side.
???

Neither one is more stable
hmm...that is impossible :deal:
KDE is more bloated for sure, but some of its extras are extremely handy. It's eyecandy is also more pleasant to the eye, which is rather a QT3 vs GTK2 issue.
you mean you find its eyecandy more pleasing. Personally, I haven't found any. :unsure:

KDE's plenty stable with me, though I haven't yet tried Gnome
:huh: ?

That's like someone saying windows is stable, though I haven't tried linux

:wall:

Never got far with Gnome...KDE all the way. Stable? Very, in my experience...tho i cant call gnome unstable since i cant get into the way things are laid out in the gnome environment.
Same thing...Windows is stable for me....I tried linux for a day but couldn't hang with 'change' :lol2:

KDE in mdk10.1 had issues IIRC. It was actually mandrake's implementation of kde rather than anything in kde. Be sure to run all your updates as that fixed many of the problems with kde in mdk10.1.

Which brings up another issue. With either kde or gnome you have to look at the distro's implementation of the DE. They all tweak the DEs somewhat. For example, RH(Fedora) is known to implement gnome excellently while its implementation of kde is generally regarded as terrible. Slackware's developer has stopped supporting gnome because he feels it takes too much tweaking on his part to be stable whereas kde gives him less trouble with their standard packages and little tweaking is needed. So there's two divergent opinions as an example.

There's good stuff! :headbang:

I mean really folks.....we know when you say....such_N_such is better....more stable....better eyecandy, it is just your opinion, so what is there to get offended over? Nothing. So we do not need statements like

Please, do NOT allow this thread deteriorate to another lame "Gnome sucks/ KDE sucks" thing
Please? Please what? I don't recall anyone saying either sucked. I thought the convo was rolling along rather smoothly actually.

Personally, (note...I said 'personally')the only thing good about kde is it its API. That is what makes it really sad actually. That no one is taking advantage of what it can do. In the other camp. We have to hack and sweat, with the smallest of code, just to get it to look good.

There has never been a Desktop War. Nope, never.... Supprised? Well, don't be.....there's just people that can't hang with people expressing their opinion. Funny...lets all be politically desktop correct....translation=lets uncivilly have a civil discussion. Which is another impossibility. You meet peole everyday that have 'their own' opinion....deal with it!

So...go ahead...opinionate! :beer:

Edited by bvc

Since you are comfortable with terminal, why worry about Gnome or KDE? It's just a distraction  :D Go unix way

I don't think I want UNIX as a desktop. :P

However I have been checking out the enlightment, demos and they simply look amaizing.

However I preffer using my humble but stable xfce. B)