I'm installing gentoo

It's my first time (on gentoo), I tried installling gentoo on my pentium 3 450Mhz 196MB RAM... though I was able to install the base, no gui.... then, yesterday, I tried to install KDE... just #emerge -k kde ... installing it via internet, I think it already downloaded everything, but until now, it still compiling...is this how it should be.. or might be that my pc is just too slow? :unsure:

Kanotix will take you 30 minutes to install, and won't be slower than Gentoo, which would need at least 4 days to finish the same packages.

On such a machine you could also try Vector Linux- it should really work nicely.

That's slow.

Archie's new hard drive installer which will be in the next release gives you a full desktop install in 10 minutes, flash, thunderbird, firefox, abiword, xchat, inkscape, gimp, gaim, gvim, beep-media-player/xmms, gftp and more.

Edited by iphitus

I recommend people to stay away from the debian based distro's, ones like Mepis, Kanotix and so on because they just seem badly broken. Ubuntu is the only one that seems kinda stable and that's because they make there own packages.

I recommend people to stay away from the debian based distro's, ones like Mepis, Kanotix and so on because they just seem badly broken. Ubuntu is the only one that seems kinda stable and that's because they make there own packages.

oh oh... don't tell us that debian based distros are not worth our time because it didn't work for you. i didn't have any problems with mepis, kanotix, knopix, beatrix and other debian based distros. it REALLY depends on the computer you use. i could say e.g. gentoo is shit. but this would be only my opinion, based on my personal experiences with special hardware in a special box. then i buy a new box and suddenly gentoo works. so ... is gentoo still shit then? (or any other distro)

btw.: gentoo is nice. not that you assume that i dislike gentoo. :)

oh oh... don't tell us that debian based distros are not worth our time because it didn't work for you. i didn't have any problems with mepis, kanotix, knopix, beatrix and other debian based distros. it REALLY depends on the computer you use. i could say e.g. gentoo is shit. but this would be only my opinion, based on my personal experiences with special hardware in a special box. then i buy a new box and suddenly gentoo works. so ... is gentoo still shit then? (or any other distro)

btw.: gentoo is nice. not that you assume that i dislike gentoo. :)

Not quite, it's not because they didn't work for me or didn't do what i wanted them to do. It's because most of the packages seem highly unstable and most of the time don't work, among a bunch of other problems if you do a HD install of kanotix, mepis and so on. I have a knoppix cd always, i always keep one incase my system messes up, they are great for that. The only debian based distro that doesn't seem broken is ubuntu, because like i said they make their own packages. Disagree with me all you like, but from what i've tried of mepis, kanotix and knoppix as HD installs they're awful.

I have nothing against debian based distro's heck im using ubuntu again, so don't think i'm actually against them because i'm not. It's not because they didn't work for me, it's because i found them highly unstable to the point they were unusable.

well... most of them are a frozen debian unstable without any sorted out bugs... so what do you expect from distros that are sometimes built by only one person?. :lol:

oh, and debian etch ain't more stable than kanotix imho. but then again... this is only my impression. ;)

Well archie is pure Arch Linux, and uses a pure arch linux install with zero modifications, so it allows full compatibility with Arch packages :D

we wanted to avoid the situation, knoppix, and other debian based liveCDs have with issues with packages compatibility.

Edited by iphitus