DebianPure

I heard about this new distro from ac_dispatcher. I have loaded it and am in the process of configuing it. The base install uses 2.4.27 kernel. I like the 2.6 kernels. I had to get used to calling the kernel headers "kernel headers" (since that's what they are!) instead of "kernel sources" in order to get Nvidia working. Right now, I'm adjusting my monitor back to 1024X768X24@85, which DebianPure would not do by default. It seems to like 800X600X24&75, which is a "safer" setting.

Synaptic is a great update/install service. I like it. But, I had to go back to lilo. I just do not like grub!!

Almost forgot

http://www.debianpure.com

Sorry, typo in the code. The link works now.

So, something is wrong with improving the install of a Debian distro, eh? :lol: Microsoft loves you guys!! B)

Well, I for one am in favor of more selection than just Mandriva on the easy install list. Besides, I did not find it all that easy, at least not as easy as PCLinuxOS or Mandriva. What I reall like, though, is the package handling. Programs that I use in Mandriva set up better in DebianPure because of better feed-back. It's true that kde is "cluttered" and that the gui tools are not as obvious as Mandriva. But, a nice experience compared to some others. I would say it rivals Libranet except it is "free."

• 2 weeks later...

What set this different is its a "Debian proper system along with common plugins (DVD, Flash, Java, and Mplayer). "

Every "Distro" that is based of Debian at times does not play well with the Debian main Repos.

(ahem - cough - cough Ubuntu)

This gives a a "pure Debian" system installed with the DVD - Flash goodness.

Plus you could always change your sources to sid and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Then it would be a Debian pure (Sid) :cheesy:

Edited by ac_dispatcher